Liquorix kernel+Debian Jessie+smxi
ancleessen4
Reply Quote
Hi,
Do you see any possible problems running Liquorix kernel on Debian Jessie.
I have a distro called i3X and the Liquorix kernel runs just fine on Jessie.
Why does smxi warn about installing Liquorix kernel on a stable distro and refuse to install until the sources.list is manually updated...?

Keep up the great work!

Neil
techAdmin
Reply Quote
the liquorix kernel is installable on a 'new' stable for a while because of the gcc version used to build liquorix happens to be still available in the new stable.

As soon as testing/sid gcc version moves on, and liquorix now runs with a newer gcc than by now older but still current stable runs, you can't install any new kernel modules that require that gcc version, ie, the ilquorix version.

Rather than pretend I can track this in smxi, I simply don't allow a rolling release current kernel built with current rolling release gcc when the system is based on debian stable. Testing/sid are obviously fine.. Note that damentz I believe also tracks ubuntu current release, so he will use the gcc that is in current ubuntu, which means at times the gcc in testing/sid will be newer than in ubuntu, it varies.

Also, you can pick the manual install always, ie, grab an older liquorix from the smxi kernel archives, and run that, ie, it's a liquorix built with a gcc version available in the stable version you install it to. I've used that to get around a stable kernel boot failure for example, I used a liquorix kernel version a few major numbers newer, installed from the smxi archive installer.

I won't change this since nobody has stepped up to do all the work required to track live gcc vs stable gcc and then have smxi 'know' all this consistently, so I opted for the easier solution, don't allow apt based liquorix current to be used with debian stable, that protects me AND the end users, while leaving them free to do whatever they want on their own, but I don't have to spend my time helping them figure out what say, nvidia current won't install on their system...
damentz
Reply Quote
Also, if you're running Debian Stable, it's best to use the kernel version built for that release. The reason why is that the userspace and the firmware in the repo are tied very closely with the kernel.

Depending on what you're doing this will matter less, for instance, if you are running a server in a virtualized environment. But on a desktop or laptop, most things won't work, graphics will fail to render, wireless won't work, etc.