Liquorix is very good, but incompatible with java [Brazil bank website incompatibility, java bug]
bigbruno
Reply Quote
The two largest banks in Brazil fail along with the java when using liquorix kernel.

Using the Debian kernel-4.0.0-2 amd64 everything works fine.

The closest thing I found was this story: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=745089
techAdmin
Reply Quote
This is a bug with Java, not the Linux kernel.

Java had years and years to adjust their code to work with the changed linux kernel id options, so I suggest posting bug reports to oracle.

You can also, by the way, try using the free software version of java, icedtea, and see how that works.

Most browsers, by the way, have STRONGLY recommended in recent years that users totally disable their Java plugins in browsers, at worst, and at best, uninstall them completely, due to ongoing severe and unfixed security issues with browser java.

So there's two major problems here, first, a bank using java in the first place, and second, java from oracle failing to handle simple kernel version syntax, something trivial enough to where you'd think even corporate hacks like oracle hires would be able to handle those variations.

I suggest to try icedtea plugin, make sure your browser is using it, then test the banks with that and see if it's any better, or if the bank accepts it.
damentz
Reply Quote
Also, you can try using Oracle's official version of java. Depending on the application you are using, the proprietary java build may or may not be better:

You can use "java-package" on Debian to manage the installation:

:: Code ::
$ apt-cache show java-package
Package: java-package
Version: 0.59
Installed-Size: 89
Maintainer: Debian Java Maintainers <pkg-java-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: all
Depends: debhelper (>= 9), dpkg-dev, fakeroot, libasound2, libfontconfig1, libgl1-mesa-glx, libgtk2.0-0, libx11-6, libxslt1.1, libxtst6, libxxf86vm1, unzip
Recommends: gcc
Suggests: openjdk-7-jre
Description-en: Utility for creating Java Debian packages
 This package provides the capability to build a Debian package from
 a Java binary distribution by running make-jpkg <java binary archive file>.
 (with archive files downloaded from providers listed below)
 Supported java binary distributions currently include:
   * Oracle (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads) :
     - The Java Development Kit (JDK), version 6, 7 and 8
     - The Java Runtime Environment (JRE), version 6, 7 and 8
     - The Java API Javadoc, version 6, 7 and 8
 (Choose tar.gz archives or self-extracting archives, do _not_ choose the RPM!)
 Please note that Debian recommends the use of openjdk-7-jdk/openjdk-7-jre.
 java-package will install non-free packages.
Description-md5: c033e8bfaf32e7c8cc20160f00f8d9cc
Tag: devel::buildtools, devel::debian, devel::lang:java,
 implemented-in::shell, role::program, works-with::software:package,
 works-with::software:source
Section: contrib/misc
Priority: optional
Filename: pool/contrib/j/java-package/java-package_0.59_all.deb
Size: 21334
MD5sum: 65ab4beb94fc5c6b43b4ecf8c7b343a0
SHA1: 5893a9235c96fa279d0f272866cf08d4933f177d
SHA256: 262dd63f010c111cc5186abe0f6aad393cdc0be6fd97ac30c5dd3d81d93a9abe

damentz
Reply Quote
As a final thought, if the bank websites are as incompatible with new software as I think, I recommend running an old version of windows (like Windows XP) in a virtual machine. That is the operating system they are targeting and it's not worth your time to try fixing it on a newer operating system.

You can run XP in a VM with as little as 256/512 mB of ram, memory requirements shouldn't be a barrier to this solution.

EDIT: I also updated the subject so as not to mislead any other users of Liquorix browsing the forums.