nVidia module fails to build
HunterZ
Reply Quote
Trying to use sgfxi to install nVidia module on 4.1-3.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 under Ubuntu MATE 15.04 x64. Here is the end of the log:
:: Code ::
   /usr/src/sgfxi-downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.76/kernel/nv-pat.c: In function ‘nv_disable_caches’:
   /usr/src/sgfxi-downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.76/kernel/nv-pat.c:38:5: error: implicit declaration of function ‘read_cr4’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
        *cr4 = read_cr4();
        ^
   /usr/src/sgfxi-downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.76/kernel/nv-pat.c:39:5: error: implicit declaration of function ‘write_cr4’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
        if (*cr4 & 0x80) write_cr4(*cr4 & ~0x80);
        ^
   cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
   scripts/Makefile.build:258: recipe for target '/usr/src/sgfxi-downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.76/kernel/nv-pat.o' failed
   make[2]: *** [/usr/src/sgfxi-downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.76/kernel/nv-pat.o] Error 1
   Makefile:1382: recipe for target '_module_/usr/src/sgfxi-downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.76/kernel' failed
   make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/sgfxi-downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.76/kernel] Error 2
   make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.1-3.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64'
   NVIDIA: left KBUILD.
   nvidia.ko failed to build!
   Makefile:181: recipe for target 'nvidia.ko' failed
   make: *** [nvidia.ko] Error 1
-> Error.
ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module.
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  ERROR: (245) The nvidia installer exited with the error: 1
A copy of this driver installer error log is also here: /var/log/sgfxi/sgfxi.log

Here is my inxi output:
:: Code ::
System:    Host: 5l7qgg1 Kernel: 4.1-3.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.9.3)
           Desktop: MATE 1.8.2 (Gtk 3.14.13-0ubuntu1) dm: lightdm Distro: Ubuntu 15.04 vivid
Machine:   System: Dell product: MXG071 Chassis: type: 8
           Mobo: Dell model: 0KX412 Bios: Dell v: A10 date: 12/16/2008
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T9300 (-MCP-) speed/max: 1600/2501 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: NVIDIA G84M [GeForce 8700M GT] bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0409
           Card-2: NVIDIA G84M [GeForce 8700M GT] bus-ID: 04:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0409
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: fbdev (unloaded: vesa) FAILED: nouveau
           Resolution: 1920x1200@0.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.6, 128 bits)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5754M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
           driver: tg3 v: 3.137 bus-ID: 09:00.0 chip-ID: 14e4:1672
           Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection
           driver: iwl4965 v: in-tree: bus-ID: 0c:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:4229
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 570.1GB (23.1% used)
Info:      Processes: 156 Uptime: 1:12 Memory: 697.2/3955.4MB Init: systemd v: 219 runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.9.2
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301 running in mate-terminal) inxi: 2.2.26

I see discussion of a possible fix here, but I don't know how to apply it because sgfxi seems to always unpack the official nVidia driver download, overwriting any previously-extracted source.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
damentz
Reply Quote
Have you tried the nvidia beta driver? It could be the current official driver has no support for linux 4.1. Try running sgfxi -Bf.
HunterZ
Reply Quote
sgfxi reports that there is no beta version available for my GPU that is newer than 340.76.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
340.76 is the legacy 5 driver, those tend to lag behind current stable.

I've updated the tests to exit with error for legacy 5 340.x on 4.1 kernel until I get more info.

sgfxi's legacy 5 is: 8/9xxx gt100-300 series

this is not a liquorix issue, it's an nvidia issue on a legacy card.

When you start to see this stuff, you may want to consider moving to nouveau, because legacy cards are only going to have to support for a finite number of years (far far more than any amd, but still finite), ,so consider this an early warning.

I believe nvidia lists somewhere the end of life for support for their card series, but I don't have the info on the legacy 5. Do not search for legacy 5, only sgfxi uses that notation internally, it's how I track card versions, each new one that is made legacy gets a higher number, ie, the next legacy sgfxi version for nvidia will be 6.
HunterZ
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
When you start to see this stuff, you may want to consider moving to nouveau, because legacy cards are only going to have to support for a finite number of years (far far more than any amd, but still finite), ,so consider this an early warning.

I don't think nouveau is a feasible option. Steam doesn't seem to work with it, and everyone says it's terrible for gaming. I'm probably better off giving up on liquorix / Linux 4.x and sticking with my default distro stuff and the nVidia legacy proprietary driver for now. Hopefully by the time I get forced onto nouveau I'll have a new laptop :)
techAdmin
Reply Quote
yes, when you run legacy cards, you have to stay aware, and there are two strategies, both of which work fine:

1. do not use kernel metapackages, ie, always install your kernels directly, this allows you the freedom to decide when to install a new kernel, ie, wait until the non free driver has a version update. From what I have seen, I would expect a version update in the next month.

2. switch to nouveau

Once you realize that support is not forever, you can actually keep a system running just fine for a long long time, for example, just install the latest 4.0 liquorix, from his past repo, then don't update it until sgfxi tells you that it has support. I updated sgfxi to exit thanks to your posting, so once there is a new driver for legacy 5, you can be fairly certain that it will support 4.1.

Then you can really just run your OS forever more or less, with the old kernel, well not totally forever, but for a long time.

legacy 5 drivers have a few years however, because they are the most recent card series made legacy, and nvidia tends to support their legacy stuff for a long time, at least the most recent stuff.
damentz
Reply Quote
Yes, everything techAdmin mentioned is true. However, there's also two more points that you should know going into running bleeding edge. The following three will almost always restrict you to previous stable versions of software:

AMD GPUs
    nVidia GPUs that are no longer supported in the latest drivers
    Broadcom wireless (bcm-wl)

Knowing that, you're probably better off simply tracking the latest driver and kernels directly in Ubuntu or your distro of choice. Or, you can meticulously pair your kernel and user space together, as you are now.

Your last option, of course, is to buy a new laptop, but that requires money. However, if a hassle free experience is more important than the cost of a new laptop, then stopping by System76 is probably your best choice (or another vendor that sells laptops with known linux compatibility).