Reducing power consumption on Haswell and Broadwell systems
techAdmin
Reply Quote
mjg59.dreamwidth.org/34868.html
Reducing power consumption on Haswell and Broadwell systems

lwn.net/Articles/642065/

discussion on this.

This may be of interest to you, I thought I'd post it here so the links don't fade away.

:: Quote ::
Haswell and Broadwell (Intel's previous and current generations of x86) both introduced a range of new power saving states that promised significant improvements in battery life. Unfortunately, the typical experience on Linux was an increase in power consumption. The reasons why are kind of complicated and distinctly unfortunate, and I'm at something of a loss as to why none of the companies who get paid to care about this kind of thing seemed to actually be caring until I got a Broadwell and looked unhappy, but here we are so let's make things better.

Recent Intel mobile parts have the Platform Controller Hub (Intel's term for the Southbridge, the chipset component responsible for most system i/o like SATA and USB) integrated onto the same package as the CPU. This makes it easier to implement aggressive power saving - the CPU package already has a bunch of hardware for turning various clock and power domains on and off, and these can be shared between the CPU, the GPU and the PCH. But that also introduces additional constraints, since if any component within a power management domain is active then the entire domain has to be enabled. We've pretty much been ignoring that.

The tldr is that Haswell and Broadwell are only able to get into deeper package power saving states if several different components are in their own power saving states. If the CPU is active, you'll stay in a higher-power state. If the GPU is active, you'll stay in a higher-power state. And if the PCH is active, you'll stay in a higher-power state. The last one is the killer here. Having a SATA link in a full-power state is sufficient to keep the PCH active, and that constrains the deepest package power savings state you can enter.

SATA power management on Linux is in a kind of odd state. We support it, but we don't enable it by default. In fact, right now we even remove any existing SATA power management configuration that the firmware has initialised. Distributions don't enable it by default because there are horror stories about some combinations of disk and controller and power management configuration resulting in corruption and data loss and apparently nobody had time to investigate the problem.

I did some digging and it turns out that our approach isn't entirely inconsistent with the industry. The default behaviour on Windows is pretty much the same as ours. But vendors don't tend to ship with the Windows AHCI driver, they replace it with the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver - and it turns out that that has a default-on policy. But to make things even more awkwad, the policy implemented by Intel doesn't match any of the policies that Linux provides.

lkml.org/lkml/2015/4/18/76

I don't see the actual patches that he says that links to, but you should be able to find them.

lkml.org/lkml/2015/4/18/77
that's the patch, as of that time.

lkml.org/lkml/2015/4/18/78
I believe that's a corrected patch, but check.
damentz
Reply Quote
Yup, these patches plus some others were merged into the zen kernel sources 4 days ago: github.com/zen-kernel/zen-kernel/commits/4.0/misc.