Liquorix Kernel 3.18 amd64 Nouveau freezes
GMaq
Reply Quote
Hi damentz, it's been a while since I've used Liquorix but I'm back again and hoping to get back to it for future AV Linux versions..

I am getting freezes (mouse stops working, system goes unresponsive) using Liquorix 3.18-6 amd64 when using the Nouveau driver, I have 2 identical base distributions built from Debian Jessie one using 32bit PAE the other using amd64 and both running Liquorix 3.18-6 however on the same machine with nVidia hardware the 32bit system has no freezing issues but the 64bit it can become unusable in as little as 30 seconds depending on what apps I use...

Installing the proprietary nVidia driver 'fixes' the issue but I need these base systems to run Live so Nouveau is the only option, a quick Google has lots of hits surrounding Nouveau and kernel 3.18 but most of them seem to be focused on Fedora and RPM distros and reportedly there is a working patch to remedy the problem..

bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=87244

Is this something you are aware of? If so have you patched 3.18-8? If you haven't encountered this what kind of output info do you need, dmesg doesn't report much and it's tough to get much meaningful output when the freezes are so random..

Anyone else seeing this?

*Edit*

Updating to Liquorix 3.18-8 does exactly the same thing, forcing the nVidia driver by booting with nomodeset works without freezes and booting this amd64 ISO live on machines with Intel graphics is also fine so it very much points to Nouveau being the culprit here...

Thanks
damentz
Reply Quote
I've added the patch for nouveau module to the Zen Kernel sources and the next version of Liquorix will have it (3.18-9, 3.18-7.dmz.2).
GMaq
Reply Quote
Wow, that was fast!

Thanks very much, I'll look forward to trying it and report back..
GMaq
Reply Quote
Hi,

Posting from a Live session..

INXI:

:: Code ::
tester@avl8-64-dev:~$ inxi -bxxx
System:    Host: avl8-64-dev Kernel: 3.18-7.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.9.1)
           Desktop: N/A info: xfce4-panel dm: lightdm
           Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8
Machine:   Mobo: Intel model: DP45SG v: AAE27733-405
           Bios: Intel v: SGP4510H.86A.0118.2009.0622.1056 date: 06/22/2009
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 (-MCP-) clocked at 2830 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G84 [GeForce 8600 GT]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0402
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1680x1050@59.95hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV84
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
Network:   Card: Intel 82567LF-2 Gigabit Network Connection
           driver: e1000e v: 2.3.2-k port: f100
           bus-ID: 00:19.0 chip-ID: 8086:10cd
Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-)
Info:      Processes: 209 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 331.2/3952.9MB
           Init: systemd v: 215 runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.9.1 alt: 4.8
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301 running in xfce4-terminal) inxi: 2.1.28
tester@avl8-64-dev:~$

Unfortunately 3.18-9 doesn't resolve this particular issue, it's kind of driving me nuts.. I have a surefire recipe to reproduce... These are currently Debian Jessie Live booting ISO systems, if I boot into the 64bit ISO using the default Nouveau driver and start the JACK Audio server within a matter of seconds the system will freeze and become unresponsive.. Before we blame JACK this only occurs on 64bit while running the Nouveau driver, if I boot the Live session in Safe Graphics everything works normally with JACK running. An identically packaged i386 Live system works completely normally using JACK with Nouveau. Both 32bit and 64bit ISO's work as expected on non-nVidia systems so as before the problem variables seem to be 64bit and the Nouveau driver.

Please let me know what sort of output I can provide to better diagnose this issue, thank you very much for all your work on Liquorix. If I can get these systems up and running properly on both Architectures I will be happy to both use and support Liquorix with a donation..
damentz
Reply Quote
Hi GMaq, I suspect that it may just be your graphics card's nouveau compatibility and probably will have the same behavior on any other 3.18 kernel.

Have you tried swapping your 8600 GT for a different nvidia card?
GMaq
Reply Quote
Hi damentz

If you mean there is something different in particular about the Nouveau driver specifically in kernel 3.18 then I suppose that is possible... If you mean the Nouveau driver in a general sense I have used Nouveau with AV Linux kernels for years on this card but our most recent kernel was 3.12.19 and that was with the Nouveau driver and Xorg from Debian Wheezy so I know at least older Nouveau versions worked..

Unfortunately this is my only nVidia machine and I don't have any spare or alternate video cards available to try..
techAdmin
Reply Quote
He means nouveau support for your card. That particular series, the 8xxx and maybe also the 9xxx I expect to have the worst overall long term support, they were sort of a transitional card for nvidia.

The best thing you can do is post bug reports with nouveau themselves, they may be able to figure out what the issue is. Generally bugs can't be found or fixed without bug reports, so you'd be helping them and yourself out by doing so. Just remember to provide all the info they need when you first post the bug report.

inxi -bxxx

is a very good starting point for bug reports since it shows the entire system at a glance, which helps skip a bunch of tedious back and forth questions to figure out the actual system.