Page: Previous  1, 2

stevepusser
Reply Quote
This may be a bit late, but we do have a selection of Liquorix kernels backported to a Wheezy base in the MEPIS community repo:

main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/testrepo/pool/test/l/linux-liquorix/
osp
Reply Quote
That is actually great! But the version what guys already linked to me is newer: liquorix 3.16.13 vs 3.16.10 on mepis site. But for future reference, I will remember it ;)

thank you
techAdmin
Reply Quote
stevepusser, thanks, it's never too late to let someone know that you are doing something like this, that's good info.

My smxi kernel zips, which are intended mainly only for smxi users, are generally based off of the last current or past liquorix kernel released, though I have missed them now and then, but usually they are the last ones. Damentz sometimes updates the past branch if there is a serious fix, sometimes he doesn't, there's no real pattern.

Usually there is a later actual kernel release than damentz / smxi will have, maybe released after damentz shuts down the past branch for that kernel, or just because he didn't feel like updating the old one.

Due to adding pae/non pae 686 support in the zip repo I have with smxi, I stopped having odd numbered liquorix kernels beyond the last one released, ie, I remove odd numbered ones as soon as they become legacy.

I'm glad someone else is also trying to host older ones, I know by the way also that towo from siduction keeps a huge number of old kernels in their repos, at least, they did. That's the siduction towo kernels. Hmm, no, they stopped doing that, I remember, some people were mirroring them and it was taking too much room up I think, or something. But they do have the last two major versions, plus subversions of those.
user32
Reply Quote
Just to be clear, those in the siduction repos aren't (or weren't) liquorix kernels, you are talking about their own kernels?

And about the MEPIS/Liquorix kernels, are they possibly usable on other distros as well, or are they modified to only work in MEPIS?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Siduction kernels are by design only debian sid compatible, which means, they may now and then work on ubuntu, but not if the gcc version is different, and the dependency versions. There's zero reason to expect siduction kernels to work on anything other than current sid. Towo makes those, he's done a good job with them, but they are for Sid.

mepis is I believe crudely based on debian stable, though I honestly do not follow it anymore. There's no reason to expect mepis kernels to work on anything other than that release of debian stable, which may or may not be similar to ubuntu ltr, but mepis does not support ubuntu so that would just be a coincidence if they worked.

liquorix is I believe now tracking debian sid/testing and current ubuntu releases, ie, it will work on both, but not debian stable or ltr ubuntu that is old. Unless those were recently released and the various dependencies are still the same and present in the repos.
Jos.v.W.
Reply Quote
What about the Aptosid kernels?
Sometimes, when there's a newer version, I use them with Debian/Sid and don 't notice any difference compared to the Liquorix ones.
Page: Previous  1, 2