XMMS configuration and useage
jeffd
Reply Quote
Well, there you are, got your linux installed, it works, now it's time to make it do something.

I'm a fan of streaming online broadcasts, in windows I've generally stuck to Winamp, so XMMS is a pretty easy switch to make. XMMS is one of the better media players out there.

Like Winamp, not all elements are immediately obvious when it comes to configuration. You can read a good XMMS configuration tutorial which should help you get started.

You may need to set your browser's default media player for this media type. I haven't figured out if XMMS can play real audio .ram or .rm type files yet, but Kaffeine does a good job with those anyway.

Kaffeine has some major bugs though, it's equalizer doesn't appear to work at all.

XMMS doesn't have a standard bookmarking feature, which would be nice, you have to use a fairly awkward playlist method to add url's, and as far as I can tell there is no way to actually edit the playlist url files, I'll see if I can get that figured out soon.

Of course, if you don't know shoutcast.com you need to get aquainted with that resource, better than standard radio. Also of course there's a lot of college radio stations that do streaming mp3 broadcasts.