Page: 1, 2  Next

Some features in smxi need updating
ckosloff
Reply Quote
I recently set up Jessie in a brand new laptop, amd64.
I used smxi to help with setup, I always do, it saves time.
Java plugin did not load, had to manually install icedtea7 and related components.
Googleearth did not load either, defective install, had to purge and remove components.
References to aptosid factoids should be removed, as that distro is dead.
Thank you.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
still aptosid stuff left, thanks, I'll have to remove it.

Haven't checked the icedtea or gearth in a while, I'll see what's up there. version changes or something.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
icedtea had a major version change to 7.
Dunno about Google Earth.
There is one more thing I noticed: inxi does not bind to Konversation.
Not that it really matters as I cannot paste output into chat, too long.
Just saying.
Thanks for updating scripts.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
By bind I assume you mean that thing where you can type in /inxi and it shows the output.

I believe that should be working, but it won't work in smxi inxi install unless you install inxi AFTER kde / konversation are installed,. since it looks for konvi directories to create the links.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
The only aptosid factoid reference I could find is in ntfs-3g, that is now removed.

Google Earth installer is updated, and now gets the debs from google directly, and also forces install of missing packages after deb install. The google deb also adds in the google-earth.list source file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ so it will update correctly in the future.

I have not tested this in 64 bit, but it should work.

The icedtea now defaults to the new metapackage, icedtea-plugin, and then tests for the new syntax package name: icedtea-7-plugin (note, it changed from icedtea6-plugin, added a dash). For future proofing, I've added in version -8 as well, but the default metapackage is the best bet because it updates to current automatically, so smxi now defaults to that if it's present.

The inxi / konvi was not wrong but I believe you installed inxi before installing kde/konversation, so you can just run that inxi installsr again. Remember you need to restart konvi for the path to work.

Also remember, for tweaks like that, you can start smxi with -G in X.

thanks for the bug / legacy stuff report, over time stuff changes, so I appreciate eyes on the code to catch broken things.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
OK, give me a day or so, and I will try install of Google Earth on amd64.
Iced tea is working (installed manually), so I won't be testing that.
Will let you know how that goes.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
Google Earth failed to install on amd64.
Used smxi to "clean cruft" and it removed package 'googleearth stable'.
Will tell you later about skype on 64bit.
sedonix
Reply Quote
There is zero chance smxi will install Google Earth on amd64. One of the reasons I converted one of my sid's on this amd64 computer to i386 was to get Google Earth to work. I use it everyday for mapping pruposes. It will always look for that ever-lovin ia32-libs. Sure, there are people who have allegedly done it but I have better things to do than spend days trying to accomplish it. Google it and see what I mean. Let me jump over to my amd64 sid and see about Skype.
sedonix
Reply Quote
Oh, well! Skype's error message is "not a debian format archive" in smxi. I downloaded Skype from their site and the result was it needed a bunch of dependencies. Interesting that Skype has a nice list of various Linux distro's to choose from but the actual download for all is the same package. I might add that I have had both Google Earth and Skype on my i386 for years without a problem. I don't recall if I used smxi to install them.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
Ia32-libs is a metapackage that's been deprecated and no longer in sid, BUT you can search debian-snapshots for it then install the deb. Then GE and Skype will install on x86_64.
Page: 1, 2  Next