Page: Previous  1, 2

techAdmin
Reply Quote
Now back to mono's issue, if he has not updated, is running the apt sources he uses, if his xorg is 1.15.1, as his debuggers shows, then this has nothing to do with his 304 issues.
sedonix
Reply Quote
I said I made an error in judgement, what more do you want!

I'm the type of person that hangs on to something until it is dead and useless.

My computer hardware just never dies but maybe I'll see what nvidia has to offer past my 6 series.

I have never had any problem with towo's kernels on my I386 or amd64 and I never get rid of the previous kernel until the new one has proven itself.

Thanks for looking into the problem and hopefully nvidia is doing the same.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
no, thank you, I didn't knwo that 304 + 1.16/1.15.99 had issues, now I do.

And now sgfxi has a brand new xorg handler, and tests, or can test, for subversions like the prerelease 1.15.99

However this is not mono's issue, although it soon will be if he follows my advice and dist-upgrades his sid system, lol, which will pull in 1.15.99 xorg, which will mean his nvidia card really can't work.

However, one thing I would caution against, particularly with legacy drivers, and that's the assumption because one card of one series, yours, in 6xxx, worked, with 3.15 kernel and xorg 1.15, that all cards in that legacy series will work, including his 7xxx. This isn't the case at all, with legacy code, various chipsets can easily fail, i had a, my last, windows xp install I ever did for someone, it had amd catalyst, and it turned out that amd, no surprise, had not really supported their old xp drivers at all, and the new catalyst simply failed Luckily the default microsoft catalyst, older, worked, in that case, but it's not good to ever assume things will all work all the time on old code, that's not reality.

Personally I suspect mono's system still, it's too non standard.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
nvidia was speedy on this one, 304.123 is out, and I'm sure handles xorg 1.15.99/1.16

in sgfxi now, updated testing for xorg versions to handle that too.
sedonix
Reply Quote
Three cheers for H2 & Nvidia!

Make that four!

Works for me and my ancient card.

Maybe I'll puchase a newer card anyway.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
techpatterns.com/forums/post-11462.html#11462

See that thread for timelines, you are good til 2017 it says for your 6/7xxx cards.

Nobody in unix/linux comes even remotely close to the length of time a card series is supported. Oh, wait, there's only two companies, right, I almost forgot. One drops support whenever it feels like it, and will certainly never release timelines since that would expose so clearly how little time your amd card will get support, and it also assumes they actually know, which is a joke, they do not.

Oh, whoops, I let it slip out, right, if you want long term binary non free video driver support for your card, you have exactly ONE option (nvidia) in linux, same option as when I first asked that question in 2005. It's good to see that some things don't change.

If radeon is fine for you, then it's fine, but it's certainly a silly thing to use if you are buying an expensive card, that's for sure.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
the free radeon driver is improving but not really quite up to snuff to fully replace the (ugh) Catalyst, from all the posts I have been reading on Moronix. Nouveau is improving too, and at a decent pace. Once the reclocking stuff stabilizes hopefully, then those ancient nVidia cards will still be quite useful for many years past 2017 cutoff date.

Currently I have a 9800GTX in my system and sold off my 7900GS, so I may soon have to replace my aging MSI motherboard (its from 2005) and go with an i7 based UEFI system to be able to use the latest and greatest nvidia cards that will be supported for quite a long time.
Page: Previous  1, 2