SGFXI Error 242
jlowery
Reply Quote
I have an old Sidux/aptosid install where sgfxi has stopped working. I have an nVidia card with a Liquorix kernel 3.13-5. When I run smxi, and get to the graphics portion of the install, I get "error 242 This script requires Xorg 7.1 or greater". I have xorg installed, I have uninstalled xorg and reinstalled it but no luck. Any thoughts as to what I am missing? This issue started about 3 weeks ago.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Show: inxi -bx

so I can see the system specs/desktop/xorg specs.
SGFXI Error 242
jlowery
Reply Quote
Card: NVIDIA GT210 [GeForce 840 GS Rev.3] bus-ID:01:00.0 X-Vendor: N/A driver: nvidia tty size: 80 x 25 Advanced Data: N/A for root out of X.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Do not post the results of only one line, and do not post it as root user.

As regular user, post exactly what I asked for, which is why I asked for it:

:: Code ::
inxi -bx

jlowery
Reply Quote

$ inxi -bx
System:    Host: aptosidbox Kernel: 3.13-5.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
           Console: tty 3 Distro: aptosid 2011-03 Πόνος - xfce - (201112312100)
Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: GA-78LMT-S2P version: x.x Bios: Award version: F2 date: 03/20/2012
CPU:       Quad core AMD Phenom II X4 B93 (-MCP-) clocked at 2800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 3] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           X-Vendor: N/A driver: nvidia tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A out of X
Network:   Card: Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet driver: atl1c ver: 1.0.1.1-NAPI port: df00 bus-ID: 02:00.0
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (28.2% used)
Info:      Processes: 133 Uptime: 38 min Memory: 142.2/7987.5MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.8.2
           Client: Shell (bash 4.2.45) inxi: 1.9.17

techAdmin
Reply Quote
As you can see, inxi agrees with sgfxi, there is no xorg installed.

I double checked this one, and inxi out of X shows the xorg version, which of course it has to, since it's asking xorg its version.

X -version

will probably give you a missing program error, unless it doesn't, then post the output here, it's faintly possible that the syntax is off, but I doubt it.
sedonix
Reply Quote
My all-time favorite since I've never understood any X stuff.

Bearing in mind I have essentially the same system as the OP.

Inxi -bx or X -version gives me 1.15.0.

So how do we get to Xorg 7.1? Where is it looking?

My question for the OP is, what did you specifically mean
:: Quote ::

I have xorg installed, I have uninstalled xorg and reinstalled it

I have never had the xorg pkg. Lots of xserver-xorg though.

And finally, is everything working OK with the exception of the sgfxi error?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
sgfxi and inxi do the same rough check, they ask for X -version, if that is null, they ask for Xorg -version, then it says, ok, no X or Xorg, so there is no usable display server installed.

On the bright side, this motivated me to update inxi's display server data in -G, it will in the near future offer better data:

Display Server: Xorg 1.15.1 (for example). This is to prepare it for things like wayland and maybe mir, though I'm reluctant to spend time on stuff I view as having no future.

For sgfxi, however, all it needs to know is that there is no X server installed or available, since there is no video driver made by nvidia/amd-fglrx that supports mir or wayland, so if X is missing, there is nothing further to do but exit.

I suggest the OP reinstall xorg via smxi. I'm guessing a corrupted install or something else.
jlowery
Reply Quote
Ran X -version. Got an error stating libGL.so.1 was not available. Using apt downloaded libGL1-nvidia-glx. That got enough of X working that smxi was able to fix the rest. Thanks for the help.