INSTALLING WINDOWS XP ERROR
Jerry P
Reply Quote
I was just loading XP and exited in the middle of set-up. Now when the system boots up past the BIOS to "Press any key to boot from CD" I get a message "Error loading operating system_"
Any ideas how to get back to the XP setup?
Thanks
erikZ
Reply Quote
Can you boot from the cd at all? If you can, all you have to is start the install process over again.

If you don't press the key to boot from the cd, the bios has just enough information to try to start booting the incompletely installed windows from your harddrive, which would result in this error, no operating system found.

If you can boot from the cd, don't do a repair, just do a fresh clean install of XP.

Hopefully you weren't trying to do an XP update, from an earlier version, if you were you could have problems, and lose most of your old data.
Jerry P
Reply Quote
Thanks! As you proposed I pressed any key to boot as soon as the message to press any key cam on installation started again. When I waited the error message came up. I can now continue my installation. Thanks again

:: erikZ wrote ::
Can you boot from the cd at all? If you can, all you have to is start the install process over again.

If you don't press the key to boot from the cd, the bios has just enough information to try to start booting the incompletely installed windows from your harddrive, which would result in this error, no operating system found.

If you can boot from the cd, don't do a repair, just do a fresh clean install of XP.

Hopefully you weren't trying to do an XP update, from an earlier version, if you were you could have problems, and lose most of your old data.

erikZ
Reply Quote
Glad it was that easy, stop by again if you have any other questions.