General question
Yasen6275
Reply Quote
:: Quote ::
Liquorix Kernel

Liquorix is a distro kernel replacement built using the best configuration and kernel sources for desktop, multimedia, and gaming workloads.
Does this mean full functionality replacement, or functionality depends on maintainers point of view?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Liquorix is a kernel that is packaged for Ubuntu/Debian by the liquorix creator, an Arch Linux package maintainer packages it for Arch Linux.

A kernel is a kernel, if it is packaged, that is, precompiled then packaged and placed into a repository where you can install it via your package management system, then it is a packaged kernel just like any other packaged kernel.

Debian for example has many different types of packaged kernels, some for xen vm support, some for 486 support, and so on. Each does its job well, as does Liquorix, in terms of meeting the needs of the people who decide to install it. If it does not meet your 'functional' needs then it's probably not the right kernel to select, if it does, it's a fine kernel, I've been running it for years. Sometimes it does not meet my needs, for example, when damentz switched to pae support, then I had to stop using it on a system that does not have pae supporting cpu (pentium m), so I started using the siduction 686 non pae supporting kernel for that system.

There are however very few non pae supporting cpus left out there, pentium m, some versions, are about it in terms of something you'd actually see.

So there is no actual answer to your question, you can, however, answer it easily, does the liquorix kernel meet your functional needs? It's easy to install on Debian / Ubuntu (not, however, on older stable debian or older lts ubuntus, liquorix is designed to work on new operating systems, not old frozen pool ones). Installing and rebooting takes little more time than it takes me to type this response, so give it a try, does it work for you, do you want fairly current kernels made with fairly current gcc as your default kernel, optimized for desktop use? We can't answer that for you, but you can.
damentz
Reply Quote
I think the answer to your question is both. By kernel replacement, I meant you should be able to drop it in place of debian's trunk kernel and it _should_ work. But yet, functionality still depends on what I use and test on (currently a Core i7 laptop, AMD Bulldozer 6-core desktop, and a Kubuntu VM I use at work).

It's still better than kernels like pf-kernel, where the maintainer tunes the configuration specifically for their laptop or desktop. Liquorix emphasizes a more generic experience with more sane and optimal defaults. I can always try tuning for certain chipsets or processors, but for each exclusive option I pick, the number of devices that can run Liquorix folds.
Yasen6275
Reply Quote
damentz be so kind to explain me why:
1. My tracpoint keys are not working?
2. My sd card reader is not working?
3. I can't downclock my i3 processor to desired frequency using cpufrequtils?

All this was doable with 3.8.13 amd64 liquorix, and is doable with 3.9.1 debian testing kernels. I dont believe any of the hardware involved is rare or archaic.
System: Host: ya-thinkpad Kernel: 3.9-1-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.3)
Desktop: MATE 1.6.0 (Gtk 2.24.18) info: mate-panel dm: gdm3 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux jessie/sid
Machine: System: LENOVO product: 129869G version: ThinkPad Edge E320 Chassis: type: 10
Mobo: LENOVO model: 129869G Bios: LENOVO version: 8NET34WW (1.18 ) date: 08/01/2012
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3-2330M CPU (-HT-MCP-) clocked at 2200.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0116
X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 8.0.5 Direct Rendering: Yes
Network: Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet
driver: atl1c ver: 1.0.1.1-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 08:00.0 chip-ID: 1969:1083
Card-2: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 [Condor Peak]
driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:0084
Drives: HDD Total Size: 384.1GB (22.9% used)
Info: Processes: 249 Uptime: 15:20 Memory: 1955.5/7921.1MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.3 alt: 4.6
Client: Shell (bash 4.2.45 running in mate-terminal) inxi: 1.9.7

damentz
Reply Quote
1. That's odd
2. The only thing different is 'MMC host clock gating' is on by default in Liquorix, where it's off in Debian. SDHCI controller enumeration by ACPI is also enabled, but that looks benign and should only help. I'll have to do more research to see what the effects are of enabling these two options.
3. The default governor is performance. During bootup, your distro should be changing this to something more sane for a laptop like ondemand. As of now, cpufreq-info is telling me that I'm running acpi-cpufreq. My cores already scale dynamically.

If you want to change your frequency manually to a lower clock speed, you'll need to change your cpufreq governor to userspace. A fair warning though, it's not optimal to hand off core scaling to userspace due to the overhead it incurs.
Yasen6275
Reply Quote
System: Host: ya-thinkpad Kernel: 3.9-10.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.3)
Desktop: MATE 1.6.0 (Gtk 2.24.18) info: mate-panel dm: gdm3 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux jessie/sid
Machine: System: LENOVO (portable) product: 129869G version: ThinkPad Edge E320 Chassis: type: 10
Mobo: LENOVO model: 129869G Bios: LENOVO version: 8NET34WW (1.18 ) date: 08/01/2012
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3-2330M CPU (-HT-MCP-) clocked at 814.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0116
X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.1.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
Network: Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet
driver: atl1c ver: 1.0.1.1-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 08:00.0 chip-ID: 1969:1083
Card-2: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 [Condor Peak]
driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:0084
Drives: HDD Total Size: 384.1GB (21.5% used)
Info: Processes: 254 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 723.8/7891.6MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.3 alt: 4.6
Client: Shell (bash 4.2.45 running in mate-terminal) inxi: 1.9.7

No ondemand, no user, no info what is current frequency from mate-cpufreq-applet.
Still missing rts-pstor kernrl module.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
clocked at 814.00 MHz

Note that the cpufreq is gotten directly from /proc/cpuinfo, so you probably want to file a bug report with mate-cpufreq-applet author, parsing /proc/cpuinfo it not hard and it's unclear to me why anyone would try to get that data from anywhere else, unless I misunderstand your point.

Try to remove any mate specific issues from this is my suggestion, ie, check to see if the data or capability is present without mate tools, then damentz can know what is a mate bug and what is an actual kernel issue.
damentz
Reply Quote
Your CPU is working normally:

www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i3-2330M-Notebook-Processor.52200.0.html

The Intel Core i3-2330M has a stock frequency of 2.2ghz, which your CPU is not running at. I also mentioned below:

If you want to change your frequency manually to a lower clock speed, you'll need to change your cpufreq governor to userspace.

Honestly, unless you _really_ know what you're doing, that's a seriously bad idea. Stick to ondemand if you're trying to save power and use performance when you need maximum throughput for a sustained period of time (gaming, compiling, audio/video encoding). Ondemand does incur a performance penalty, but it's significantly reduced in comparison to other kernels due to the use of the down sampling factor tunable, which is set to 10 by default instead of 1.
Yasen6275
Reply Quote
:: Code ::
ya# cpufreq-info
cpufrequtils 008: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
Report errors and bugs to cpufreq@vger.kernel.org, please.
analyzing CPU 0:
  driver: intel_pstate
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
  maximum transition latency: 0.97 ms.
  hardware limits: 800 MHz - 2.20 GHz
  available cpufreq governors: performance, powersave
  current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 2.20 GHz.
                  The governor "powersave" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 1.25 GHz (asserted by call to hardware).
analyzing CPU 1:
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 1
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 1
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 1.63 GHz (asserted by call to hardware).
analyzing CPU 2:
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 2
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 2
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 1.43 GHz (asserted by call to hardware).
analyzing CPU 3:
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 3
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 3
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 1.43 GHz (asserted by call to hardware).
[/code]