smxi -G
anticapitalista
Reply Quote
A couple of questions when running smxi -G.

1. Is there a direct option to set up apt sources.list? ie smxi -Gs?

2. Can parts of sgfxi be run in smxi -G? ie the parts that check for missing dependencies and downloads the missing debs and even the wanted driver. (But doesn't install it).

Thanks
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I'm not clear on the apt sources list, what section is that you mean of smxi? or function, or whatever?

The sgfxi stuff is very hard to do because sgfxi was never designed to run as a modular program, ie, one section running and one not, it's possible the change you note is possible but I cannot tell you for sure, certainly -G can trigger flags to do things internally, including sending sgfxi a flag that does something or other, but those things take a lot of testing to develop, so i'll consider this a wish-list item that maybe I'll get to one day when I'm really bored or wanting to avoid some even less pleasant real work, heh, much as I did recently with the new -B fglrx option.

By the way, I have yet to get a positive confirmation that sgfxi -B fglrx beta driver install works for current cards that are supported, in 3.7/3.8 kernels, anyone give you feedback on that yet?

I have nothing to test on because every time I've bought a new amd card for my test box a few months later they have dropped support for that card so I now refuse to buy anymore cards for such purposes from them.

However, with that said, as you probably know, such requests coming from you are more likely to be looked at than most because you represent the users of antix.

<moved to dev forums>
anticapitalista
Reply Quote
For sources I mean when the user is asked to choose Sid etc just at the beginning of the smxi script on its first run.

I'm thinking, for next release of antiX, to have a smxi -G pop up on first installed boot that asks users to keep or change their sources.list from Wheezy default or to run Testing or Sid.
I know I could use a script for this, but since smxi has this feature anyway I just wondered if smxi -G can trigger this.

The same for sgfxi. For antiX-full to fit on a cd, some dev apps needed for sgfxi are missing. My idea is again a popup or in a control centre, a sort of run sgfxi to begin the set up your drivers and then for installing the nvidia script, user is prompted to drop to init 3.

Thanks for putting it on a wish list.

Same here re fglrx beta driver. I only have nvidia. I'll ask over at the antiX forums.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Oh, does -G disable the first run actions? I never thought to check that, that's a bug, not a feature in this case.

However, keep in mind, smxi does not actually change anything on that first run, it just asks you some questions about your system, some of those answers are actually never used in smxi, though I think at one point I'd thought to use them as overrides, but I prefer to trust smxi's view of the actual sources to determine what debian it is, ie, testing, sid, stable, etch/squeeze/wheezy.

I believe the only actual real change it does is to set non free? oh wait, no, I remember, there's an antix only option isn't there that will change the sources, right? Ok, so that means that there's a bug, bugs are different, -G should not turn off first run, let me see why it does.

The sgfxi sounds to me to be doable, but let me check, give me any further details about what you have in mind explicitly, and I'll check into it, can't at the moment busy, but seems reasonable. Might be able to trigger a custom option in sgfxi to do what you want, ie, a dev only flag, like -! 35, I find those very useful, that way I can add stuff that regular users in general should not do but someone who is doing it for a good reason can. But tell me the exact process/steps/ point where sgfxi would do these things.
anticapitalista
Reply Quote
Let me check smxi -G as well.

Thanks again for considering the sgfxi idea.

Basically, most new users almost certainly want to use the prop. drivers for their cards, old or new and want to get it all set up asap with as little hassle as possible.

smxi/sgfxi does that for the user.

The idea is to ask the user on first boot (installed) whether user wants to set up prop. graphics using sgfxi. If user wants to do so, then all the necessary pre-driver installation checks and upgrades including the downloading of the nvidia-installer script can be done in X.
Once finished, user is prompted to dump themselves out of X and told to run sgfxi as root. sgfxi completes the installation of drivers.

This could also work when running live with persistence (I'm 99% sure that I have managed to install prop. nvidia via sgfxi (in init3) and reboot worked with nvidia driver. I need to check it again though).

Lets say smxi -Gsn in X will

1. Set up default Debian to Wheezy (once stable), Testing or Sid. (the s trigger)

2. Start the early steps in sgfxi to download missing dev debs, and (maybe) download the nvidia-installer script (for example) and once finished the script stops. Then either a third party script then prompts user finish off installation by dropping to init 3 etc or sgfxi does it.

These are just some ideas. If they are not feasible, no worries.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
sgfxi has an old option from kanotix / sidux days, -A, that used an automated install option, that has not been tested for a long time, and given that a reboot is required for nouveau/radeon kms drivers it probably doesn't work anyway anymore.

There has however never been an option to set system to testing or stable, the only option, and that's only I believe now active for antix users, is to set it to sid if they want instead of testing.

Otherwise I dont' believe there are any options like that present in the first run section.

The sgfxi stuff I'd have to look at but I don't have time right now.