Announcement: Official inxi-gui
trash80
Reply Quote
I recently started work on a gui for inxi. Hopefully we won't need to be intrusive and inxi keeps its current API. h2 did have to add a special option for the gui to work.

The project is hosted on GitHub: github.com/inxi/inxi-gui

:: Quote ::
Note: inxi itself is not hosted on GitHub. It is still on Google Code, or the shortcut inxi.org. As of now, only inxi-gui is hosted on GitHub.

At this time, inxi-gui (best name we could come up with), is pre-alpha and many many things don't work. So far it doesn't work like a normal window when full screen.

As of right now, inxi-gui allows a user to put options in a text box and view the output in within itself. The help pops up a new window with the output of inxi -h. All output in within an uneditable textbox, not a new terminal screen. Also, the 'Exit' button works.

Work on the gui will be slow as I work on it in my spare time. My first plan of action is on the backend. I plan on creating a interface layer to inxi, then a display layer.

Right now, I'm using Python 3 and tkinter. Buy separating the 'view', I'll be able to also use other libraries such as Qt, GTK+, wxWigets, etc. (more than likely, their Python counterparts).

So, if you're bored and like playing with things that can break, give the pre-alpha a try and let me know any thoughts you may have.

github.com/inxi/inxi-gui/archive/master.zip

Update your inxi (inxi -U). Download the zip file, unzip it anywhere. Double click on gui.py and play away. It should find your inxi install, as long as it's in your $PATH. If not, it won't work for now. Later I'll add some configuration options.

In the Custom box, just put the option you'd like to see without any dash '-'. Colors do not work at this time.

< Edited by trash80 :: Jan 26, 13, 18:17 >

GoinEasy9
Reply Quote
"The-real-trash80" - I love it.
trash80
Reply Quote
well, all the other trash80's are just imitating.

While setting this up, I found that someone had already taken 'trash80' and another had taken 'inxi', but neither have had any activity, so I requested GitHub turn them over to me because the owners are just cybersquating. We'll see ;-)
GoinEasy9
Reply Quote
Squatters on GitHub, amazing. We must rid the world of spurious trash80's. I'll be interested in seeing how GitHub responds to your requests.
trash80
Reply Quote
We got the 'inxi' name, but I didn't get the 'trash80' name. I guess the user must have some private repositories, which caused it to be active.

But 'inxi' wasn't active, so they graciously let me have it. They were real nice about it and apologized for taking so long (I thought they were quite responsive).

I was impressed. I think I'll keep them around a while ;-)
trash80
Reply Quote
Updated images showing what each button will produce. The Help button opens an external widow to see the help, so that the user can look at the help and use the different options in the Custom pain, simultaneously. (this forum seems to cut the images off at the right. Goto: github.com/inxi/inxi-gui/tree/master/images to see full size.)

About button:

Update button:

Submit button:

trash80
Reply Quote
inxi-gui version 0.1.26 out today.

Latest change:
-Windows contents now resize with the window.
-Can run inxi -U with a button click. (must have version inxi 1.8.28 or newer, otherwise, manually update inxi. see next bullet.)
-inxi man page viewable via button click. (installing the inxi man page requires root to update inxi.)

New inxi-gui, new name
trash80
Reply Quote
I've started work on 'guanxi' a gui for inxi. Instead of using complicated Qt or GTK or some other nasty UI, I decided to move to the future with Html5/CSS/Javascript.

The engine is node-webkit which harnesses node.js and chromium. The final file is much smaller and easier to code than with the other libraries.

I'm using Sencha's Extjs 4.2 for the widget library. The format is MVC, so everything is separate and actually reduces the code I need to write.

Here is a preview, which took me a couple of days (mostly trying to learn my way through the MVC format), which was a lot faster than tk, QT, or GTK+.

DeepDayze
Reply Quote
Nice work and I would like to try this out so is there a debian package available? I currently use Semplice 6 which is a great Openbox distro based on Debian Sid. Using this distro and the siduction kernels are a great combo.