While I don't know that anyone WOULD worry -
vkaryl
Reply Quote
last time I didn't let all my different forum folks know, some of them got all freaked when I was "missing" for a couple of weeks....

I will be leaving Thursday the 18th, may not be back until the 30th. We're off for a late elk hunt. I'll post when I'm back. Wish us luck - so far it's 4 years without one!
jeffd
Reply Quote
Well, I noticed a silence, but since we all presumably, hopefully, also have lives beyond looking at monitors it's just something I notice, not so much worry.

Elk hunt, sounds fun, I've never had fresh meat from a wild animal before, I'm sure it doesn't have much relation to store meat, at least if fresh/store bought fish is any indication.

Have fun.
minck
Reply Quote
Good luck bagging some elk. Look forward to hearing about it.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
I'd rather have rare grilled elk than the best hand-massaged Japanese black angus money can buy. I'm not joking either.
jalarie
Reply Quote
vkaryl, I expect that it's time for your yearly hunt. Have a safe and fruitful time in the woods. Bring us all a taste of fresh meat.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Hi jalarie! Yep, was time, no elk, but I did get a VERY nice, fat healthy forked-horn mule deer buck this year, mildest meat we've EVER had! So I've "real meat" in the freezer again, and I'm a happy camper as a result.

We're glad to have the venison. I LOVE knowing where my meat comes from, that one shot killed it cleanly, that we took proper care of it, that it's boned out and dirty meat saws haven't touched it.

The weather has been odd, was really too warm for hunting elk without a "high-country horse" (as in, one who's happy leaping up deer trails at 10k feet plus) - and while my horse is good with that, his buddy is 22, arthritic, and can't "go" any more, so we don't separate them.... so we hunted lower down, and while we had a lot of fun, we didn't see anything to shoot at.
jalarie
Reply Quote
vkaryl, are you going out again this year? I've eaten up everything you sent last year and l'm eagerly awaiting a taste this year. ;-)

Did you find a good horse, yet?
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Hello again! No deer or elk yet this year, one more hunt beginning Saturday and running through December 10. We won't be staying out in that area this year; it's close enough to just drive out there mornings or evenings.

It's been another oddball weather year; summer was very wet, but now fall is very dry.

We haven't found another horse yet. We're in the planning stages of selling this property, buying a couple of acres near Capitol Reef National Monument in central Utah, and building a log home with solar and a wind turbine. So we may wait until that's all pretty much solid before doing any more "used horse looking". Our arthritic old man is doing great as long as we don't put any weight on him, he's eating fine and not in pain; both of them are down in the meadow already for the winter (hasn't been winter yet, but we can hope!)

I'll report again later.... hope life's treating you well!
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Update: got a nice big cow elk on Sunday morning. We'll be butchering beginning this coming Monday.

Hope I don't have to go buy a new freezer!