Page: 1, 2  Next

Liquorix repo: wine demanding ~650MB of dependencies
ColOfNature
Reply Quote
Running aptitude upgrade, wine from the liquorix repo is trying to install a whole slew of new dependencies. Has something changed?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I strongly suggest dumping aptitude, I have used it for years on all my systems, and have found it to to be a total fail for at least 2 years, worthless, a project that clearly now exists in name only, its dependency handling is worthless, and it should be avoided.

I will change smxi as well to not suggest or recommend it.

What happened is that ubuntu, as usual, was promoting it for x number of releases, then they gave up on it, a wise move by the way, aptitude was always seriously flawed by the fact of its using a different database than apt-get and dpkg, a design flaw too serious to ever really overcome. Which is why ubuntu probably gave up on it.

Try running the same command with apt-get
ColOfNature
Reply Quote
Tried it already, same result. I've temporarily uninstalled wine. Attempting to reinstall it with apt-get I get this: pastebin.com/8dBrvF5f which seems a bit excessive. It's definitely a problem with the version in the Liquorix repo - the one in Wheezy only installs a half-dozen packages.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
oh, you need to use the: --without-recommends / --no-install-recommends
flag, that's all.

That should be set in all cases anyway in your apt config files. debian for some absurd reason defaults to installing recommends, not understanding that a recommended package is not a dependency, and is usually not wanted.

Try: apt-get install --no-install-recommends <package>

APT::Install-Recommends "0";

is the proper syntax for permanently turning off recommend auto install in your apt config files.

Add that to:

/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ call the file something like 85myaptconfigs and save it, leaving a line break at the end, ie, newline ends it.

if it's not that, and if it's not the aptitude, then maybe the new wine simply has more dependencies, or damentz made a small error.
damentz
Reply Quote
The new version of wine I uploaded does not recommend winetricks, so if you're not going to change your apt configuration, maybe the newest version in the Liquorix repo solves your problem.
ColOfNature
Reply Quote
Thanks, I'm just going to pin it to Wheezy for now.

Has there been a major change to the way wine has been packaged? This is the first time it has recommended so many additional packages. Winetricks I'm fine with, I'm just wondering why it's suddenly recommending all this stuff: pastebin.com/8dBrvF5f . I mean, soprano-daemon? nvidia-kernel-common? I'm using a laptop with Intel graphics, why would I need nvidia-kernel-common? And linux-image-3.2.0-3-rt-686-pae? Something's not right here...
techAdmin
Reply Quote
You use the word 'recommends', what is not right is installing packages default debian, with recommends installed. Turn that off, and see how it works, as I already said.

You should NEVER install recommends by default, those can be totally insane and out of control. Debian should stop shipping with that default, I have no idea what self respecting geeks who pride themselves on controlling their systems are thinking by having badly done recommends on by default, that's almost embarrassing, might be something ubuntu would do just because, but debian? Come on.
damentz
Reply Quote
To answer your question, yes, some of the recommends are wrong, but at the same time, recommends are not dependencies and it's wrong for apt to auto-install them.

I'll create a sticky later that you can look at with instructions on how to disable the recommends installation in apt. Auto installation of recommends only reduces your flexibility. Especially in a distro that's known for it's massive level of flexibility and choice of packages, marking recommends as dependencies is just absurd.

This is just my amateur opinion, maybe you have your own thoughts or another way to look at this.
ColOfNature
Reply Quote
I simulated the install with no recommends, and it worked as expected. I see your point about not automatically installing them; and putting the directive in apt.conf is simple enough. But I thought that was why there were 3 levels: depend, recommend and suggest; so that you could have absolute requirements, "nice to have" stuff that would be installed but wasn't a deal breaker if absent, and stuff that was up to the user.

Personally, I don't mind installing recommendations as disk space isn't exactly at a premium and it's usually nice to have all the bells and whistles with minimal effort. This is just a home computer so if I find I have huge quantities of cruft I can nuke the root partition and start over! I was really just confused as to why all of a sudden there was an extra half gigabyte of stuff being pulled in during a simple upgrade.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Your understanding of recommends/suggests/depends is correct, it is Debian that has done it wrong, and why they decided to do that relatively recently is totally beyond me, it violates all principles of tightness and system integrity that Debian should and has stood for. Sometimes debian just plain makes stupid wrong decisions, and then get too stubborn and geeky to admit that fact.

What is happening in your case is the exact example of why recommends should never be on by default unless the user so specifies.

Package a pulls in x number of dependencies, which then as a group pull in y number of recommends, which in turn pull in z number of dependencies and recommends, until you end up with a ridiculous scenario like you encountered, where you have an install of one package or group that pulls in half the disk space size of your entire root directory.

this is why smart distros that repackage debian and fix these errors always fix such bad defaults, siduction for example. But why Debian does such a bad default remains a total mystery.
Page: 1, 2  Next