Re-installing grub from live CD.
paleoflatus
Reply Quote
I did a dumb thing - While my normal system is Siduction+ smxi, loaded on sda1 (/media/disk1part1), I loaded Mint into a spare partition sda2 (disk1part2) on my hard drive. It replaced my GRUB bootloader, but failed to recognise my upgraded kernel in Siduction. After three frustrating days, I deleted Mint, re-expanded sda1 to fill the disk and now can't boot at all. I'm presently running off the Siduction live CD, but can't figure out how to restore my original system via a live CD session.
Is there an easy way for idiots?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
techpatterns.com/forums/about1716.html

not for idiots, but you're not an idiot so you can follow the directions.

Yes, a pain, but it works fine, can be done from any livecd that uses grub2, hopefully you are grub 2.

Use inxi to make sure of the p artitions, try siduction live cd for example, it has all the stuff, inxi, grub2, etc.

I think aus9 has a live grub cd but i can never follow its status, otherwise of courser use that.
Installing Grub2 via a live CD
paleoflatus
Reply Quote
Thanks muchly. After my agonised post, I thought of a sneaky way. I shrank my partition with gparted, installed a tiny one and loaded Siduction on it. Within 10 minutes, I was up and running. While using my original system, I suspect that smxi or sgfxi will set up GRUB2 in its original form next time I install a new kernel.
Meanwhile, I'll have a look at your suggestions, as they're a more proper solution.
You're good friend in need.
aus9
Reply Quote
hi

1..... my live cd is really a proof of concept on how easy it is to burn a live cd with grub2 instead of isolinux

2..if you need a good live cd can I suggest you consider

www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html