apt-cacher-ng
Geordie
Reply Quote
Hi
h2
I have run into another error with approx, so it is time to move on and I was wondering if you had another howto on apt-cacher-ng like you had for approx.
I have read the manual, but as usual, I am having one of those thick moments.
Thanks
Geordie
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I hear you on approx, that is the most buggy piece of junk I've had the misfortune to spend time on.

I've also had to largely give up on it, simply fails and can't figure out how to fix it.

It's hard learning how to use these things, first of all, make sure you're using the right tool, ie, the one that is written by people who are serious enough to develop something that doesn't just dissolve into a never ending series of unfixed bugs, like approx.

Is apt-cacher-ng the best bet at this point do you think? I'm not saying it's not, but rather asking if it is.
reiner
Reply Quote
Well,
I am using apt-cacher-ng for over an year now. and I cannot complain about it.
Currently I am experiencing sometimes problems with downloads (wrong checksums on some files) but I have yet to find out what is cousing those.
I doubt that it is related to apt-caher-ng itself.

regards

Reiner
Geordie
Reply Quote
I have no idea if apt-cacher-ng is the best tool. I notice there had been a reasonably favourable discussion here and I have not seen much discussion elsewhere. I have a short list of places I stop at, so I am not the most informed. And like most things I am looking for I am way over the horizon of what I need compared to most stuff that is on the web. Google or duckduckgo apt-cacher-ng is littered with unbuntu fanboys and none seems applicable to Debian. Actual most stuff out there for debian is either ancient (etch or sarge) or littered with unbuntu advice. Try looking at the Debian wiki -wheezy info is not even on the horizon.
You mention a never ending series of unfixed bugs. May I mention KDE4, kdepim are my two biggest disappointment, followed up Mozilla and there dumb numbering systems and of course things breaking. It is almost not worth upgrading. And you wonder if anybody actual tests this stuff or do they just throw it there and see what sticks.
Back on topic
I was hoping that you were upset enough with approx you might have changed your approx howto to apt-cacher-ng. Your tutorials are damn good and an absolute godsend for a cut and paste artist (hacker) like myself
Well the worst case scenario, I will just get a bottle of wine and try to digest the manual and work it out.
cheers
Geordie
Geordie
Reply Quote
Just a small update.
Installed configured and ran just fine. Much less headache to set up than approx. It took me longer to cleanup /etc/apt/sources.list on all the computers.
Geordie
techAdmin
Reply Quote
geordie, the way I create how-tos is by noting step by step what I did, then taking the time to write it up and edit it.

It's tedious, especially with tools like this, because there are always little issues that appear on the way, but that's how I do it.

Once I'm done, anyone can benefit.