patch: prevent Privilege Escalation via SUID /proc/pid/mem Write
ej64
Reply Quote
Shure you're already aware of this:

Linus published a patch to fix /proc/<pid>/mem handling:
git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;=commitdiff;h=e268337dfe26dfc7efd422a804dbb27977a3cccc.
And some exploits are already published, too
blog.zx2c4.com/749.

some big distros reacted quickly (e.g. Ubuntu), but latest liquorix still is fulnerable.

PS: posting links is quite annoying. It only shows [new user link] and at times not all.
Re: patch: prevent Privilege Escalation via SUID /proc/pid/mem Write
volksmilch
Reply Quote
Gnaah… A brand new kernel 3.2.0-1.dmz.5-liquorix-amd64 just arrived and is still vulnerable. :-/
damentz
Reply Quote
Finally, an alternative to sudo.

No, I'll get this patched up and release 1.dmz.6 later today.
damentz
Reply Quote
3.2.1-1.dmz.6 is out with this patch (plus some early patches that are going into 3.2.2).
techAdmin
Reply Quote
ej64, before you complain, make sure the problem isn't YOU.

You disabled your bbcode in your posting/user settings, why you did that is beyond me, but if you do that, the links get disabled.

The new user link is to protect against forum spammers, but it can't help me much with users who turn off the features they complain about not working.

Also, before I corrected your bbcode, it would not h ave worked anyway, you had this, with spaces so you can see it:

[ url=http://somesite.com/lsdjf][/url] which if you hadn't turned off bbcode, would have shown a blank space instead of a link.
Re: patch: prevent Privilege Escalation via SUID /proc/pid/mem Write
ej64
Reply Quote
@ techAdmin

what I wrote in the first place was this (with BBCode enabled):
:: Code ::
[url=http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;=commitdiff;h=e268337dfe26dfc7efd422a804dbb27977a3cccc]Linus published a patch to fix /proc/<pid>/mem handling[/url]. And [url=http://blog.zx2c4.com/749]some exploits are already published[/url], too.
and it didn't work. The first link was shown as [new user link] without the enclosed text and the second one was missing alltogether.

Seems now you have promoted me beyond the "new user" status, so I can't show this misbehaviour anymore.

Btw: I'm german and can stand some rude words, but if you're after some constructiveness you shouldn't piss off the users immediately.
volksmilch
Reply Quote
Just a note on the topic: The fix fixed. Thank you, damentz!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
ej64, you had turned off bbcode, so nothing you did would have resulted in any link ever showing.

This odd decision cost me about 1 hour of my time trying to find a bug that didn't exist since I would never have considered that a poster complaining about links not working would turn off the very thing that makes links work. Not appreciated. I tend to hold linux users to higher technical accountability standards, ie, I trust a bug report from them more than regular users, foolish, I know, but there you have it.

Cost us both time. Try to be a bit less clever next time is my advice. While I can pretend that I didn't mind losing that time, I won't, it was annoying.

The new user link as noted is an antispam feature, and never at any time disabled any link, so complaining about that is really not an interesting thing to hear. I did modify the code a bit to show the url now for non new users, makes it easier to cut and paste in links without formatting them.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
by the way, as for the valuable information you provided, links to the patches, and alerting damentz to them, that part is of course greatly appreciated.
aus9
Reply Quote
yeah good job damentz