How about this for a title for this section of the forum?
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Tesseracts.... in honor of "A Wrinkle A Time"....
erikZ
Reply Quote
tes·ser·act n. The four-dimensional equivalent of a cube.

I'm trying to visualize it but can't quite get my head around it :-)
vkaryl
Reply Quote
You just need to read the book.... *laughing*

Anyway, that was sort of why I thought it fit! [Edit: oh, and for some other books which address getting one's 3dimensional head around other-dimensional spaces, try EE "Doc" Smith's "Lensman" series. They're seriously "antique", and most discount them since they don't mention "computers" at all, but for good fun and some interesting quasi-science, they really rock!]

[[And by that, you may assume that I myself am fairly "antique". and you'll be exactly right!]]
erikZ
Reply Quote
I think I read a wrinkle in time, it rings a faint bell, but it was a long time ago.

I like old books in general, certain eras really had some good stuff. I haven't found many new books that really grabbed me though.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Doc wrote in the late 40s through the mid 60s; he was a phd in various "real" sciences, and some of that shows in his writing.

As to current/new stuff, the only stuff I read is either on CSS/html etc. or sheer escapist: trash romance, fantasy/sci-fi by Misty Lackey, Anne McCaffrey.... I have to live here, I don't want to read "fiction" about it!
jeffd
Reply Quote
I just read 'Mystic River', a book about Boston's old neighborhoods, it was very good, and frightenly accurate, in fact so much so that it helped me decide to leave, since what it described was what I was living in my neighborhood, and I didn't like it, a very sad way to live in my opinion.

I read too much stuff on geek subjects, have to admit to a partiality to hardcore geek talk, over clocking, hardware analysis, system performance, hacker stuff, etc, not because I spend any real time doing that fringe stuff, but because those guys tend to be the best at hardware, security, and networking since they push it the furthest. Once you know where the outer limits are, it's much easier to pull back to stability.

Try to keep up on latest Linux news, don't read much CSS stuff anymore, for me CSS is pretty stable, it's not going anywhere in the next 3 years, happily, the stuff they have now doesn't work consistently, last thing we need is to expand what doesn't work reliably even further. Plus a depressingly high percentage of so called hacks, tweaks, and 'methods' failed in realworld testing, to the point where I decided that it wasn't even worth looking at sites like alistapart anymore, since I'd estimate something like 90% of the techniques they advocated failed when I tested them rigorously.

I'd like to get back to reading some real stuff, but I'll see how it goes.
minck
Reply Quote
If you like fantasy, Borges's short stories are gems, especially for a philosopher's mind. Short, too. Umberto Eco got a lot of his ideas from Borges - some rather directly.