Here's a strange thing that happened on my server setup....
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Was working perfectly, absolutely no problems. Then I installed NOD32 yesterday. Boom! No browser access to localhost.

I tweaked the ports setting in NOD32 (a tip from someone I know who uses NOD32 in a production environment). I tweaked a couple of lines in the httpd.conf file. I spent hours searching the apachefriends board and some other places. Nothing I did fixed the problem.

I uninstalled NOD32. Browser access to localhost now working perfectly again. Oh well - I have other redundant security/AV measures in place anyway, but this could be a heads-up for someone else!
jeffd
Reply Quote
That's also a problem with Windows XP service pack 2 from what I've heard, at least it was at one point though they may have removed that 'feature' for the final release of SP 2 [read more about Windows XP SP2 Problems here, that's a pretty chilling list - includes a long list of products that won't work with SP 2].

But how annoying to have that type of issue, no doubt, that can really ruin your day, but live and learn.

I think that's a solvable problem, Nod32 has come very highly recommended, this is definitely worth looking into, so I did. From Nod32's website:
:: Quote ::
My Apache server does not work properly after installing NOD32 v2. What to do?

Question:
My Apache server does not work properly after installing NOD32 v2. Some pages do not load at all, some have missing pictures. What to do?

Answer:
Apache web server uses sockets in a non-standard way and this results into conflicts with NOD32's IMON component. To resolve this issue, you need to recompile Apache's libapr.dll library with WAIT_FOR_EVENT preprocessor definition defined.

If it does not solve your problem, please go to our support page and contact us.

Since you're probably not going to be recompiling Apache anytime soon, looks like it may not work for you. This is very good information to have, I was thinking of running Nod32 more often, it will still be fine for non-development boxes, but this issue really shouldn't exist, it's no problem with Norton, Antivir [which I really like, it's free, it's small, and it does the job ok, as long as I am careful about my web activities]. I had very good luck with that as one of my anti malware tools at a recent job.

In fact I liked it enough to replace Norton AV with it, I think because Antivir found some long lingering embedded trojan/spyware type products that have been sitting in an unopened zip file I've had for years, Norton missed that year after year, Antivir burrowed right into that zip file and found it.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
*laughing* Nope, recompiling apache isn't in my plans at the mo....

I do NOT have SP2, nor will I have any time in the not so near future. Stupid buggers.... NOT going there....

Y'know, I didn't find that on NOD32's site.... must have not read the FAQ very thoroughly! BAD girl! Oh - as to AV, I'm using AVG right now, works great, catches stuff Norton never did. Norton's a right piece of cr#p, y'know?
jeffd
Reply Quote
I take the lazy way, browse to faq page, hit 'edit' on firefox, hit 'find in page', type in 'nod32' or 'Apache', and there it is, I always do that, it's impossible to find specific search terms for me otherwise, I just blip over them. Although I have to admit I found that one by myself, but that's unusual for me...

I've heard good and bad things about AVG, but then again I've heard good and bad things about Antivir, but I haven't heard any good thing about either Macafee or Norton, man, Macafee is garbage, both of those, I've been working for weeks cleaning out infected machines supposedly 'protected' by Macafee Enterprise edition, one or two days a week when I find them while doing my rounds, that job's over now, but it was educational. And fun.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Heh. I'm a "read every entry" sort of person. Obviously NOT the way to do it. I'll try to remember to take your advice in future....