aus9
Reply Quote
hi

inxi -h output for -x d....states....
Adds items to features line of optical drive; adds rev version to optical drive

I get

inxi -xd
Drives: HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (8.8% used) 1: /dev/sda WDC_WD800JD 80.0GB
Optical: /dev/sr0 model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D rev: 1.06 dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw,scd0
Features: speed: 40x multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r state: running

FEEDBACK

state....running..... no its not.
I have no disk in it.....no light on

And finally just to show I am anal.....your -h says itemS.....is there supposed to be more than just 'state"?

regards
techAdmin
Reply Quote
running isn't what you think, it means the system sees it, that it is alive. That's just how the system reports it, that's how the linux kernel sees these things.

Yes, there are more things, they vary depending on kernel and hardware, and if you are root or regular user.
aus9
Reply Quote
ahh ok well for me on damentz kernel I see no change going from local to root user.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
It's hardware/kernel dependent. Let me assure you, adding new features in inxi should instantly cure even the most naive and clueless Linux fanboy of any fantasies of consistency or predictability.

So it's: hardware, what does manufactorer report/fill out? literally. What does kernel see/report? What kernel version do you have?

All these advanced hardware features in inxi expose the mess. But you can rest assured, I have data sets that have triggered a wide variety of outputs. There may also be outputs that I opted against using now, given how almost totally useless they are really to end users, but which are actually contained in the data gathering of inxi, they just aren't used.

All inxi features have required a huge range of end user hardware/os/kernel version. For example, one guy got a brand new cutting edge video card, latest kernel doesn't know it so just reports unknown. That's not a bug, that means the linux kernel does not contain that data yet.