[SOLVED] Problem: laptop overheating with liquorix 3.0-5
perolozac
Reply Quote
I'm running Linux Mint 11 (based on Ubuntu 11.04). Ever since I upgraded to the newest liquorix kernel (3.0-3.dmz.1-liquorix-686), my laptop has been much warmer than before (it was on 2.6.39-4.dmz.1-liquorix-686 previously). I often leave it on overnight, on 2.6.39 it used to idle at about 50-55°C, now I wake up and it's at 68°C, and obviously very warm to the touch. I had to set the fan to manual and maximum power for half an hour for it to drop to 60°C. :( Now I set it back to auto again, it's already climbed up to 62°C. Let's see what happens now.

All task monitors/managers show no task is hogging the CPU, it really is idle.

The laptop is an IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T60, if that helps.

EDIT:
Yep, it's at 65°C now, roughly half an hour later.

< Edited by perolozac :: Sep 2, 11, 1:54 >

damentz
Reply Quote
What happens when you add pcie_aspm=force to your grub kernel parameters?
perolozac
Reply Quote
Just added it now and rebooted, but the laptop was already pretty warm so now I'll have to wait and see what happens. It does seem to be cooling down slowly though. Meanwhile I'm gonna read the docs on that param and its significance. :)
perolozac
Reply Quote
Seems better now, it's within the 55-58°C range most of the time (56°C at the moment).
I'm gonna leave the laptop on throughout the night and see what happens in the morning.
perolozac
Reply Quote
OK, woke up, it was at 59°C. Still not as low as it was on 2.6.39, but it's certainly better than 68°C, and I'm guessing this is as low as it goes...

Or not?

I just realized this could be very much dependant on the current CPU frequency, so I added an applet for monitoring that, and it told me there's no support for cpufreq. What's with that? Is that no longer available in 3.0? I know for a fact my laptop supports frequency scaling...
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq exists but is empty. "lsmod | grep cpufreq" gives no results. I tried "modprobe cpufreq_ondemand" manually, it loaded but nothing happened, nothing changed. I also tried "modprobe speedstep-ich" (lspci says I have the N10/ICH7 chipset), that reported "No such device" (no extra messages in the kernel log). Do I need to insmod some other module? How come it doesn't autoload anymore?

EDIT:
OK, mystery solved, I think. I rebooted into 2.6.39-4.dmz.1-liquorix-686, and still no frequency scaling available. So I installed the stock ubuntu kernel (2.6.38-11-generic-pae) and there it was, scaling is available. So I realized the module that I need is "acpi-cpufreq", and also that it comes built-in for ubuntu kernels, but as a module for liquorix. So I added this to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules:
:: Code ::
acpi-cpufreq
cpufreq_powersave
cpufreq_conservative
cpufreq_userspace
cpufreq_stats
cpufreq_ondemand

And also this to /etc/rc.local:
:: Code ::
for i in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu[0-9]*/cpufreq
do
    [ -d "${i}" ] || continue
    echo 'ondemand' > "${i}/scaling_governor"
    cat "${i}/cpuinfo_min_freq" > "${i}/scaling_min_freq"
    cat "${i}/cpuinfo_max_freq" > "${i}/scaling_max_freq"
done

Then I run update-initramfs and rebooted. Voila, my CPU scaling is back on 3.0. Also, my CPU temperature is now back to its usual range, 50-55°C.

Still interesting though, apparently CPU scaling was not available when I was running 2.6.39-4.dmz.1-liquorix-686, and yet the CPU didn't overheat like this. Oh well, in any case, I think this is pretty much solved as far as I'm concerned.