PC restarting
slinger
Reply Quote
hi,

my pc keeps restarting for what appears to be no reason. at first i thought the CPU was overheating, checked it on bios and was reaching 75 degrees. sorted that by applying some thermal paste and the temp dropped by 24 degrees.

was ok for a few days but now keeps restarting and is not caused by the CPU temp getting too hot. it doesnt keep restarting all the time but a few times a day and not by doing the same thing.

when is has restarted a window says 'the system has recovered from a serious error' and heres what the information says:

Error signature
BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : 804E6CA2 BCP3 : B3C94B0C
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

and heres what the technical info says:

the following files will be included in this error report
C:\DOCUME~1\All\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER96ed.dir00\Mini110210-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\All\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER96ed.dir00\sysdata.xml

i have no idea what all the error codes are and i can not find the files that it says.

many thanks for any help on this subject

Ste
slinger
Reply Quote
forgot to mention, cant remember what motherboard it is but it is a self build
intel celeron CPU 2.8ghz
1gb ram 160gb sata drive
window xp home edtion with service pack 3
also running with MWN-CB54G wireless network card (PCI)
techAdmin
Reply Quote
it's very unlikely that you didn't toast the motherboard/cpu from overheating is my first guess. The pre core duo intels get VERY hot.

Second guess is that the PSU (power supply) is dying, or that the motherboard is dying.

If you aren't using a UPS (battery backed up power supply like APC) then voltage drops can kill your mobo as well.

However, given that you appear to have improperly installed the heatsink in the first place to the cpu, it looks likely that you overheated it.

Generally I find that the stock amd/intel heatsink heat paste / compound stuff is totally fine, and would not cause such an overheating, but improperly positioning the heatsink or some other improper assembly error that must have happened if you got temperatures that high before repasting it most definitely can and would cause this problem, I got a sick computer from a guy I know that suffered exactly that problem, and the cpu was just like you are describing, I threw it out in the end.

The capacitors on motherboards have an annoying tendency to fail as well, that's a very common source, and if it's not a toasted cpu, it's almost certainly dead capacitors, which will create exactly the reboot symptoms you describe. You can actually see this by opening the box up, and carefully examining the tops of all the capacitors, especially the bigger ones, those are the cylinders with a metal top that are scattered around the motherboard. If the metal top is not flat, but bulged out (it's very obvious, not subtle at all), then the motherboard is dead.

You don't always see such obvious signs however, I just had a motherboard die in this way, ie, reboots of increasing frequency.

If you have an alternate power supply, try using that. If you aren't using a UPS unit get one and try that, but it'stoo late to fix any damage, but you have to have those anyway to run a desktop pc safely, so you might as well pick one up. I like this one: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101343 at 330 watts that's fine for most normal users.

The only way around this issue is to buy the new long life gigabyte motherboards, which use high quality caps, and very high quality materials in the motherboard. They cost a bit more, but they are worth it. Long life gigabyte motherboards are clearly labeled as such in for example newegg, if it doesn't say it's long life it's not, they also cost about $30 more than regular ones.