Feature Request sgfxi
AnthLee87
Reply Quote
Hopefully not too much to ask, but would it be possible to install nvidia-settings from the repos whenever an nividia kernel is installed?
AnthLee87
Reply Quote
Sorry I meant driver is installed
techAdmin
Reply Quote
nvidia settings is installed every time nvidia is installed, it's part of their package.

If you mean when the distro driver package is installed, it is added.

However, since you posted no meaningful information such as what you are doing, what distro, and so on, that's all I can say.

:: Code ::
which nvidia-settings

will show you where it is installed.

sgfxi installs it when it installs distro packaged drivers in debian, I think in arch too. And the package installs it itself when you use the direct binary install: sgfxi

so your question is unclear, unless you are using ubuntu, then it might be missing, but to know that I'd need actual information from you.
Debian Squeeze
AnthLee87
Reply Quote
I am using debian squeeze updated daily. It didn't install nvidia-settings when I used to install the latest nvidia driver from the website not from apt. Its available in the repos but I had to sudo aptitude install it manually. This maybe a bug I could boot a debian squeeze live cd install updates and then try and replicate if needed.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
was what I wrote unclear?

I won't repeat it.

sgfxi installs nvidia settings if it's the distro driver install (sgfxi -d), and if it's the direct binary install, the application is installed by the driver package, at least it is in the 260 series, but it has been for years.

Have you verified the fact of no install? by issuing the command: which nvidia-settings

Please read the words I typed, then read the words you typed, then do what I suggested, before you respond again.

Just because an application is not listed in your gui menu doesn't mean it's not installed.

Also give details, like what card you have and what driver. For some reason I've been getting bug reports where people are posting ZERO relevant information and believing this is somehow useful.
AnthLee87
Reply Quote
I ran sgfxi from an updated squeeze live cd and couldn't reproduce. I manually purged the nvidia-settings package I installed with aptitude and reran sgfxi and It still didn't install nvidia-settings. I deleted the nvidia package sgxi leaves on hard drive and ran it again and everything is fine. Did not think this was a bug but a missing feature have never used sgfxi before. If I thought it was a bug I would have sat down and gathered more information sorry about that. Everything is working now I am assuming the download was corrupted.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
the nvidia run package has always installed nvidia-settings, and sgfxi's distro packaged driver install has always installed nvidia-settings package.

The only way this would change is if nvidia's run package stopped including nvidia-settings, but why that would happen is beyond me.