Reply Quote
I just noticed that my last d-u blew away windows from my grub.cfg

Putting the lines:

:: Code ::

menuentry "My MSWin" --class OS {
        set root='(hd0,1)'
        chainloader +1

}

in /etc/grub.d/40custom and running grub-mkconfig seems to have fixed the issue.

I dont know whats all the --class stuff. Are some other options required?
aus9
Reply Quote
hi

glad you solved it with an 40_custom entry

2) As its a custom area....you can make that menu title anything you like....you can even call it Linux and stun your friends when they see ms boot up!

3) But I am guessing you had an old entry from the operating system prober that had an old entry with that title?

I don't have any ms on my hard drive so can not help but can you post your old menu if its still there so we know what script wanted to create such a bad menu title pls?
Rustom
Reply Quote
:: aus9 wrote ::

glad you solved it with an 40_custom entry

Sorry my subject is misleading -- it did not blow away the partition -- only the grub entry

:: Quote ::

3) But I am guessing you had an old entry from the operating system prober that had an old entry with that title?

No I cooked it up while in hack mode :-)

I was just mucking around with grub.cfg seeing if I could put something that might work and this worked. [eg For some reason best known to them the new grub folks seem to chosen to make the partition numbering not only inconsistent with old grub but even with itself -- (hdi, j) i counts from 0 j from 1!!

So yes the string is poor and needs to be changed [if someone is seeming my computer when it starts :-) ]

I was basically making 2 points -- a question and a FYI

Question: Whats with all this class stuff? All the stuff I saw 'debian' 'linux' etc seemed inappropriate for MSWin except OS so I kept that and it (seems to be) working but maybe something else is 'good to have' for some reason or other?

FYI: Something blew away my grub entry while claiming to upgrade old grub to new. Not everyone may be able to change it as I did (considering how poorly documented grub2 is at the moment). Since smxi is on the whole such a nice piece of work I just thought its developer(s) may want to know.
aus9
Reply Quote
hi

Yes I knew you were talking about only the windows entry and not the partition so your post is fine by me

2) But maybe its my english that needs improving...?

your title in 40_custom can be anything you like
so just call it windows if you like.

If you have multiple then:
windows on first partition
window on 3rd partition second drive

----would be examples of other titles to use

BTW by title I mean the stuff after menuentry and between the " "

3) I am not a developer myself and I think TechAdmin will agree with all of your issues with poor docs on grub2

eg here is my debian title and junk

menuentry "Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.33-2.slh.1-sidux-686" --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os

and no I can't explain why it now exists.

but its coming from the header script and you don't need to add any of it to your menuentry in your custom script ok?
ulenrich
Reply Quote
classes are going to be used with theming/colors some day....