Getting vmware tools for player - strhink windows image
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I needed to shrink my windows image file, which had grown from a true windows size of 2.5 to about 12.5 gigabytes on disk. This takes a long time to backup, and is just empty data.

This vmware thread: communities.vmware.com/thread/124951
reminded me to install the shrink feature using vmware tools from vmware workstation .bundle file, which requires the following setup procedure.

I got these basic steps from: www.brandonhutchinson.com/Installing_VMware_Tools_with_VMware_Player.html

:: Quote ::
1. First, I installed the VMware Player 2.5 "bundle" for Linux.

$ sudo sh VMware-Player-2.5.0-118166.i386.bundle

Installation of VMware Player 2.5 provides /usr/lib/vmware/installer/vmware-installer which will be used to extract the contents of the VMware Workstation 6.5 bundle.

2. Download the latest version of VMware Workstation in "bundle" format from www.vmware.com/download/ws/. You need to be registered with VMware (it's free) but do not need a VMware Workstation license key to download it.

3. Extract the VMware Workstation bundle to a temporary directory. Note that the extracted contents are approximately 580M.

$ sudo /usr/lib/vmware/installer/vmware-installer --install-bundle VMware-Workstation-6.5.0-118166.i386.bundle --extract /tmp/vmware

4. All of the VMware Tools ISOs are located in vmware-workstation/lib/isoimages/ within the temporary directory. In this example, I want to install VMware Tools for Windows guests, windows.iso.

$ ( cd /tmp/vmware/vmware-workstation/lib/isoimages/ ; ls -1 *.iso )
darwin.iso
freebsd.iso
linux.iso
netware.iso
solaris.iso
windows.iso
winPre2k.iso

Then, do these to run the tools installer
5. In Devices, in vmplayer top controls, select: CD/DVD, then select: Connect to disk image file (iso), and navigate to the tools iso location and pick it.

This should autostart the vmware tools installer, just install everything you need.

I didn't get a menu item added automatically in Windows 2000, so I made one manually, pointing to c:\program files\vmware\VMControlPanel.cpl which is the control panel, that lets you do things like shrink your vmware player image.

6. In your guest system, run setup.exe from the VMware Tools directory.[/quote]

You can get the bundle packages here: www.vmware.com/download/ws/
requires a vmware account, but that's worth getting anyway. I'd put in a direct link to the bundle file, but I think it's best to use the latest ones, which will change now and then.