first off, let me tell you what kind of pc i have:

asus p5kr motherboard
intel core 2 duo 3.0 ghz
4 gb ddr 2 ram (1066 mhz)
nvidia 8800 gtx (768 mb ddr3)
500 gb WD hard drive
asus cpu cooler
700 Watt psu
all of this sitting in an antec 900 gaming case (since recently)

the problem i have been having for the past year is that my pc, whenever i play a graphicly demanding game my pc will auto reboot after about 15 min..
i've only had the 900-case for about a week and a half now, before that i had a thermaltake swing case, with the side opened and a regular house hold fan blowing into it.. That solved the problem, but wasnt very efficient. so i figured the problem lied in ventilation, thats why i bought the antec nine hundred.. but even after installing the optional side fan, and cranking everything up to the third speed, the problem still keeps occuring..
don't know what to do, cause my buddy has almost the exact same pc, and he doesnt have this problem..

ps: i just recently re-installed windows..

thnx
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Two possibilities: one, your household power source simply cannot supply the full wattage required. This is less likely than possibility two:

Your cpu is overheating and shutting down. This is probably the result of an inadequate heatsink or improperly installed heatsink, with improperly installed or inadequate quality thermal compound.

It's easy to see which it is, simply watch your cpu temp using a system monitor tool, usually motherboards include one if it's higher end stuff in their driver / software cd, if not, you can get it from the mobo webpage.

You can also check, after verifying the cpu temp, that the bios itself is set to autoshut down at the proper temperature. DO NOT turn off the autoshutdown feature, since that is very likely what is keeping your cpu from burning out in the first place.

Your purchase of a new case however was largely a total waste of money, since the cpu would never get that hot if the heatsink/thermal compound was properly applied, even with a stock cpu heatsink. Unless of course you are doing something foolish like trying to overclock without knowing anything about how to do real cooling.
jorissen_x
Reply Quote
allright, thanks a lot, i'll look in to both possibilities..