implement smxi/sgxi my distro ( lenny base)
carioca
Reply Quote
hi, techadminin (“h2”),

How have you been, buddy ? Do you remember me? I am the nick “carioca” at the sidux.com and the administrator “otto” at the sidux Brazil. You helped me to place the download servers (sidux) from Brazil at the smxi. You got it? I'm also a developer (as an english translator) of the epidemic gnu linux which is at the distrowatch site if you wanna read about it. I'm translating to the english this brazilian debian lenny at [link] and I will release the beta2 sooner with the english version, I would like to send to you a copy to taste it to verify about the translation if it's missing something there or something needs to be corrected to have a good english because I'm not a native english spoken citizen. This distro is very customized for the final users. Of course, if you don't mind. Otherwise, in the past you talked to me you could support it to include the smxi there in order to release with smxi included or via download. But I would like you chek with you whether It’s possible you get it supported with smxi? I appreciate your hints as soon as possible. Now, the version will be in english and you can manage it very well without the portuguese tranlation. But I will keep the two versions. one in portuguese and the other in english. In fact, the english version is already finished and I will let you now the realease date sooner. Could check if smxi will work on it? Could you install smxi on the epidemic gnu linux and get customized and working smoothly on it? I am looking forward to hear from you.

Cheers.

Otto Sá. (the sidux Brazil administrator and the epidemic gnu linux developer ( the brazilian debian lenny).

PS:Other subject matter:

Now concerning the new sidux Brazil I had launched another day at www.sidux.com.br:

If you don't mind, I would like to place a link to the techpattern (smxi support site) at the sidux Brazil at the menu at [link] because many users are visting sidux Brazil nowadays and they don't know about the smxi support site which is in my humble opinion is the best point to share ideas about smxi and obtain the straigt support. I need your authorization and you will send me a small image to put there with the smxi site drawings if you have one. You watch there at sidux Brazil which image might fit better and let me know about it.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Re links, you can post whatever links you want.

In general, for distros, the best way to handle smxi stuff is to include the smxi stub installer, which is in smxi svn, code.google.com/p/smxi that works the easiest.

smxi basically supports debian sid, testing, and stable. So any distro that is that, will work.

If you use custom distro data, that should be in the file /etc/lsb-release but if you dont' want to make a real lsb file, you can create a custom one like sidux uses, /etc/<distroname>-version

ie, /etc/braziliana-version

which smxi can parse to detect that it's your distro.
carioca
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
Re links, you can post whatever links you want.

In general, for distros, the best way to handle smxi stuff is to include the smxi stub installer, which is in smxi svn, code.google.com/p/smxi that works the easiest.

smxi basically supports debian sid, testing, and stable. So any distro that is that, will work.

If you use custom distro data, that should be in the file /etc/lsb-release but if you dont' want to make a real lsb file, you can create a custom one like sidux uses, /etc/<distroname>-version

ie, /etc/braziliana-version

which smxi can parse to detect that it's your distro.

hi techadmin!
How do I download smxi stub installer (which is in smxi svn) ? Is the same code as : cd /usr/local/bin;wget -Nc techpatterns.com/smxi.zip;unzip smxi.zip;smx ? Could you get me clear about it? I would like to have it already installed in my lenny brazilian distro called epidemic gnu linux at www.epidemiclinux.org . Because It would be easier to the users if It's pre installed already.I appreciate your hints.
Cheers.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
stub download directions: smxi.org/site/install.htm#stub-installer
The stub-installer itself has setup directions in the comments in the script head section.

Because I have never been able to figure out how to bzip or zip symbolic links, I've never been able to create a zip/bzip file download version that would just extract into /usr/bin with all the links ready to go, so the distro maintainer has to do that part when he creates his iso.

The idea is to create symbolic links in /usr/bin to /usr/bin/smxi-stub for smxi, svmi, sgfxi, and should you desire, inxi.

Then these scrips get installed automatically to /usr/local/bin if missing.

This stub method, by the way, is what sidux used for smxi stuff before slh decided to override the wishes of almost all the sidux users and remove it.