Re: Remote USB device error: Remote device disconnected: an
techAdmin
Reply Quote
You get this error message when you try the 'connect device' item in the vm guest:

:: Quote ::
Re: Remote USB device error: Remote device disconnected: an error occured while sending data.

vmware thread: communities.vmware.com/thread/188161

And this hopefully is the solution:
The "Connect" option in the "Devices" menu on the Remote Client does not work. Why its there and broken I have no idea.

To connect a USB device to a guest, you have to run the VMWare Infrastructure Web Access from a browser, select the gust from the left-hand side list of VMs. Then a USB menu will appear on the menu bar. Select the USB device to attach.

I agree that this mechanism for connecting USB devices is a backwards step for VMWare Server 2.0. Noone from VMWare has yet commented on this "feature".

or a manual method, I can't find the method above, so try this: communities.vmware.com/thread/174015

Here is how you fix the remote usb error

from Terminal so in Fedora Applications\System Tools\Terminal

SU

enter root password

1. chmod -R 777 /proc/bus/usb/*

Your USB will now work in VM Ware this should work for debian and RH

Now your new proble is that when you reboot linux forgets and locks down the usb again to fix this you want to modify the /etc/rc.local file its like the windows start up file do the following

1. vi /etc/rc.local

the file will open up type "i" to be able to insert

chmod 777 -R /proc.bus/usb/*

if you want to make a note about what you did precede it wiht a # so i.e.

1. This changes the USB so they will prsent in VMWARE or Virutal Box (not tested on vbox but should work) without errors

to save your changes type

:w

to close

:q!

reboot and it will work let me know if you have problems

and let's see if this one fixes it: www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/vmware-server-2.0-remote-usb-error-675901/
And yes I spend almost 2 day's in finding this really simple solution.

First to know is that vmware is running as the user you give at install time, Which of course is wonderfull since it's using your id (if it's that you give) and passwords which are crypted on you're harddisk using pam. But yes the basic device procbususb for the usbfs file systems are mounted with only read/write acces to the device owner (which is root).

The group has only read acces. To change this You can use the none ... devmode=664 as mentioned previously into fstap but this wil give you an error at boot time.

But For debian which I use do this eighter straight by at boot time for the device procbususb. Debian 2.6.26-1 amd64kernel (lenny)

Change line number 75 in the file mountkernfs.sh located in map /etc/init.d
domount usbfs usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs -onodev,noexec,nosuid
into:
domount usbfs usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs -onodev,noexec,nosuid,devmode=664

If you self are also member of root group, you won't have any problem anymore whit all fs type like usb devices like usbsticks,harddisks,ipod's,phones and soone ...

Do not forget to reboot after the change is done. Or maybe just a reload of mountkernfs.sh before you plug any usb device in.
christophevr is offline Reply With Quote

and another from ubuntu: ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=936094
I have find this solution

In the file /etc/fstab

You add the following lines

usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs auto 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=46,devmode=664 0 0

Good luck