Page: 1, 2  Next

Error 195
draggin
Reply Quote
I used the sgfxi script for the first time yesterday on my acer laptop with ati video, it worked perfectly.

This afternoon I was notified of some new updates for my distro (mepis 8 Beta (7.9.3)), I downloaded the kernel updates and then rebooted the laptop and then rebooted to the cli so that I could run the sgfxi script again. The script seem to be running normally but then threw up the following error

mv: cannot stat `/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing fglrx-driver_8.561-1_i386.deb (--install):
subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
fglrx-driver_8.561-1_i386.deb
ERROR: (195) dkpg -i failed for package: fglrx-driver_8.561-1_i386.deb

(it is correct there is no /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 )

The kernel I am currently running is 2.6.27-1-mepis-smp (32bit) the version is the same as before but the internal version went from 2.6.27-7 to 2.6.27-10

Can you suggest what has gone wrong??

Tim
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Try to install: libgl1-mesa-glx and then let me know if it works.

I don't know the status of the fglrx installer at the moment however.

Also, please, before anything else, use paste.debian.net and upload, there, your /var/log/sgfxi/sgfxi.log file from the failed install attempt.

Once you get it pasted there, give me the link to the paste as I can look at the log file. Do NOT paste the log file here, it's too big.

I want to see what your system was seen as by sgfxi.
draggin
Reply Quote
Link to paste file

paste.debian.net/24192/

Mepis 8 (beta 7.9.3) is mainly based on Debian Lenny

libgl-mesa-glx is installed

As I said, when I first installed the ati drivers with the sgfxi script on Friday (this a new install on this laptop) it worked perfectly. Its just since this upgrade to the mepis kernel thing have gone awol

Tim
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Try sgfxi -s
to install debian deb packages and see if that works.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Please paste the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list file

I believe your mepis was identified incorrectly as debian sid, when it should be testing.
draggin
Reply Quote
Here is a link to my source list

paste.debian.net/24259/

I tried the sgfxi -s, but after downloading it had a problem compiling a file, so I have also included another copy of my sgfxi log file

paste.debian.net/24260/

I am not sure what happen here as the log file is in code rather than txt??

Tim
techAdmin
Reply Quote
The code is the data from those boxes you see in console, it's hard to log that.

I've updated the Lenny detection, which was failing in your case, if you could try this again, and just post this output from your terminal, after trying fglrx install with sgfxi again, no -s option this time:

:: Code ::
grep 'SYSTEM_BASE:' /var/log/sgfxi/sgfxi.log

then

grep 'dist-id/dist-codename:' /var/log/sgfxi/sgfxi.log

It should look something like this:

grep 'SYSTEM_BASE:' /var/log/sgfxi/sgfxi.log
SYSTEM_BASE: sid

and next:

dist-id/dist-codename: Debian/sid

That will show me is the Lenny identification is fixed.

However, I don't think this is the issue, since that driver worked before, but it's good to be on the safe side here to make sure the right debian packages are getting built.

however, if Mepis changed something in their kernel, there's little I can do about that.

I am considering dropping support for the deb constructor method in the sgfxi fglrx install, or making it a second option, not primary default, and using the straight installer run install directly instead, which people report is a bit more reliable.
draggin
Reply Quote
Results from the test as follows:

mit@penguin1:~$ grep 'SYSTEM_BASE:' /var/log/sgfxi/sgfxi.log
SYSTEM_BASE: testing

mit@penguin1:~$ grep 'dist-id/dist-codename:' /var/log/sgfxi/sgfxi.log

I am not sure how I can find out what has changed in the kernel, if you could be a bit more exact regarding what you need to know regarding the changes I will see if I can get the message to the developer to get the answers.

Regards

Tim
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I fixed a small bug in the detections for sid/testing/stable, and in the fglrx package builder.

Before proceeding, try to run this install again.

Then check the above output again, it should be:

testing
and
Debian/lenny

if it is, sgfxi should now be correctly building the Lenny package for mepis systems. If those packages fail, we can proceed to the next step, which would be seeing if it's a mepis kernel configuration or simply yet another in a long line of fglrx bugs and failures.

I'm not sure when I will get time, but in the near future I'll be updating sgfxi to make it do the straight driver binary install, instead of the current build debs then install debs.

Users report that this has been fairly consistently more reliable, but I have to build a test box to do that before anything else, debugging fglrx issues remotely just does not work once it gets much further beyond this level we're on now.
draggin
Reply Quote
OK tried the install and it failed, ran the two tests and got the result as you suggested

mit@penguin1:~$ grep 'SYSTEM_BASE:' /var/log/sgfxi/sgfxi.log
mit@penguin1:~$ grep 'dist-id/dist-codename:' /var/log/sgfxi/sgfxi.log
dist-id/dist-codename: Debian/lenny

I have posted a question on the mepis support forum asking if anybody else has had this problem since the kernel upgrade at the weekend.

Mepis has now moved to RC1 status (full version has been promised by 1st Jan 2009) so I might burn a new CD and try a new install, as I have done very little on the laptop and at least that way it will prove if it is a kernel\fglxr\script problem or something wrong with my install.

I appreciate the help you have given, I have no immediate requirements to have the ATI drivers working on this laptop at the moment.

I will attempt to see if I can find out what changes were made to the kernel and contact you after Christmas with any information I have.

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New year

Tim
Page: 1, 2  Next