motherboard software installation
herbmania1999
Reply Quote
I getting ready to redo my computer (xp) and also was given a disc containing software for the motherboard. I know this may be a lame question, but which do I install first. I assume that installing the software beofre the xp disc would be nothing but lame, but I dont want to leave anything to chance. If anyone has any advice in what I should do before wiping out the memory besides backing up pictures and personal files.., all advice would be appreciated..,besides buying a mac...,cant afford that right now..,
jeffd
Reply Quote
You have two choices:

1. Remove ALL current motherboard drivers from your existing windows install, prior to shutting down and installing the new motherboard.

All means all. Here is a good how to upgrade motherboard without reinstalling xp. That method is the only way I know that will actually work.

2. There is using windows recovery to force reinstall of drivers but my experience is that it really doesn't work very well. I recommend against that method.

Re your other questions, yes, you have to reinstall all motherboard drivers, and video card etc, when you change motherboard.

It's not a trivial process, but if you do it right, when you restart windows, it just thinks it's a fresh install, although you might have to call Microsoft to get XP revalidated, that's not uncommon.
already installed
herbmania1999
Reply Quote
The computer in question is one that was built for a friend and the motherboard required a seperate program/driver to be installed. I have never done one of these before. I am use to just dropping in the recovery disc and watching my screw ups getting erased. So if I sound lame.., i am sorry, but the board is already installed so its not an upgrade..,so if your advice is diffrent please let me know.., i need all the help that I can find..,lol

Thanks in Advance