kdm not installing with kde-full
BigBopper
Reply Quote
I have tried this several time now, on different machines, and each time kdm does not get installed by the smxi script when choosing kde-full.
I am basically following the My BusinessCard install : Debian testing/smxi enhanced found here:
techpatterns.com/forums/about1085.html
except that I am starting with a netinstall disk instead of the businesscard disk.

Al

< Edited by BigBopper :: Dec 13, 08, 18:44 >

techAdmin
Reply Quote
did you have another desktop installed before you started?

I thought kdm was a dependency of kde. My guess is you have another dm running, and it's not updating.
BigBopper
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
did you have another desktop installed before you started?

Nope. This is a fresh install from a netinstall disk. I only checked Standard for packages to install, not Desktop, as that would install Gnome, which I do not use.

I thought kdm was a dependency of kde.

kdm is recommended by kdebase, not a dependancy. I'm not finding anything that depends on kdm.

My guess is you have another dm running, and it's not updating.

Nope, no other dm. When going to startx, or rebooting, I'm back at the cli.

Further searching listed kdmtheme and kde-kdm-themes as the only packages that depend on kdm.

Al
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I think this changed at some point recently, kdm was not included because it was a dependency of one of those core kde packages, but since it's changed, I added it back in, and fixed another little bug that would have made it not work as well.

now if you have no display manager, it will install kdm.

The question, however, is if you can start kde with gdm or wdm?

Any idea?

I never use these types of systems so I don't actually know.

However, the package installer is now updated to include kdm if no display manager is selected, and if it needs to be just hard coded in if kde needs kdm, then I'll change it again, thanks.
BigBopper
Reply Quote
The question, however, is if you can start kde with gdm or wdm?

Any idea?

Yes you can. Or, at least you could a few years ago. I used to use Gentoo, and it's default dm was xdm. When I last gave Gnome a try a while back, it installed gdm, and changed the default to that instead of kdm. I could start both KDE and Gnome using that. Also, more recently, while playing around on an old laptop (a pentium 133), I was kinda forced into using something other than KDE because of resources. During that, I installed wdm to test it out, and I was able to "start" KDE, from that, sorta;). I say sorta, because KDE barely ran on that old of hardware;).

As for the dependencies changing, I can not say one way or the other on that, as I have not had the need to look at them, until now.

Glad I could help with the progress of a very nice utility.

Al
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Thanks for the information and bug report, I can't ever test all this stuff all the time to make sure it's all still working in every possible system configuration, so bug reports are what keep these things in shape.

Now the package install desktop install will add kdm if and only if no other display manager is detected, as with the other desktops.