Replace and uninstall IE for good
Erik Johnson
Reply Quote
As you may have read, CERT has recommended that users switch to Firefox or Opera.

:: Quote ::
There are a number of significant vulnerabilities in technologies relating to the IE domain/zone security model, the DHTML object model, MIME type determination, and ActiveX. It is possible to reduce exposure to these vulnerabilities by using a different web browser, especially when browsing untrusted sites.

If you want to get serious about your windows security, it might be worthwhile reading this article on how to uninstall IE.

You'll need to first 'upgrade' to IE 6, then follow the procedure outlined above. Some steps of that will require XP, others can be done on any windows installation.

While I can't do this because I unfortunately need IE installed so I can test my web code, this might be a very attractive option to consider in cases like corporate networks, where you have wisely decided to replace IE with Firefox.

Since end users can always be counted on to flee to the familiar unless forced to do otherwise, removing the connections to IE altogether strikes me as an excellent option for organizations running large networks.

I'll have to do some more reading on this, since Thunderbird email client is still not ready to go as a full replacement for OE or Outlook in my opinion, due to some pretty serious setup and email import issues.