Page: 1, 2  Next

Update ceni in Install apps/Utilities
anticapitalista
Reply Quote
Hi h2.

Request to upgrade the ceni package to the latest version under Utilities.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
that's been updated now, double check and make sure it's right.
anticapitalista
Reply Quote
Thanks, working fine.

BTW, don't forget to replace option 10 in Utilities, infobash with inxi
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I'm still debating how to handle that, inxi still had some bugs that are being squashed, more than a few from infobash, stuff that wasn't exposed because infobash wasn't being run on non sidux systems, but they are now acting up, being fixed one by one.

Of course, almost all of the bugs like this are in infobash as well.

Anyway, inxi could probably use another week or so of testing and debugging before it's offered for distribution, I might alsa add it to the current smxi.zip installer package as well, but that might conflict with the cathbard package we'll see.

The infobash deb does a few preinstall/post install steps that inxi does not do yet, things like add itself to the konversation scripts via symbolic link, etc.
anticapitalista
Reply Quote
For the next release of antiX, how do you suggest I write the release file?
At the moment there is a file /etc/antiX which basically says something like
antiX-M8.iso
Release name:
Date:

I know you hacked the script for antiX to show up properly in inxi, so to keep antiX as consistent as possible, should I rename the file antiX or keep the info in it all on one line like:

antiX-M8-Solidarity-12/12/08
techAdmin
Reply Quote
the key here is being consistent.

I'm not sure if there is an actual rule about file name, all I know is that locsmif in infobash assumed /etc/... version would be the file name in general, and I assume that was based on many examples, and I believe further that these are single line text files, though I'm not positive.

If you change to one line, just keep to that format, your sample is fine, for example, as is:antiX-M8 Solidarity 12/12/08 . Well, actually 12/12/08 isn't clear, since there is no way to know if it's 12 dec or 12 day, us style something like: 12/8/08 means: 12th of august, 08.

I like: 2008-12-08 for ymd myself, but it doesn't really matter what it is as long as it doesn't change. I don't know if LSB has much to say on this or not.

But what isn't practical is to actually redo something this simple in inxi every release, that doesn't make sense, a one time fix yes, in this case, but after that the thing should be not changed again.

distro name/number distro release name date seems like a fine way to do it.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Actually, if you did this format it would make it really easy to test:

go with standard file naming: /etc/antix-version

no uppercase.

then use whatever you want to put into one line, keeping in mind that whatever you put in there will be printed out by inxi.

Since my custom handler uses /etc/antiX test explicitly, I wouldn't have to redo anything, if you made the change to use standard file name, like above, then made that use some standard one liner of information, then antix would never require any further custom handling.

The way infobash did this was actually very clever, but like all very clever things, you hit walls when something is outside what was expected re file names or content.

Using some wild card detections, what inxi/infobash does is get a list of all /etc file names following the expected syntax, then compare them to a list of known file names... and so on. it's interesting, but not super easy to change or modify, and I think it's actually a good idea in general, though we'll have to see how other distros are handled as well. Arch is also a problem currently because their /etc/arch-version file is empty but exists.

infobash/inxi look for file names like this in /etc: <something>-release, <something>_release; <something>-version; <something>_version

In theory, if you followed this convention no custom antix handling at all would be required.
anticapitalista
Reply Quote
I tried renaming the file to /etc/antix-version, but inxi -v3 gives this:

:: Code ::

antiX@antiX-M8:~$ inxi -v3
System:    Host antiX-M8 running  Linux 2.6.27-1-mepis-smp i686 Distro /etc/issue corrupted, use -C to override
CPU:       Dual Core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 512 KB cache flags (sse3 nx lm svm) clocked at 1000.000 MHz
Graphics:  Card nVidia GeForce 8400 GS | X.Org 1.4.2 | Res 1024x768@50.0hz
           GLX Renderer GeForce 8400 GS/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW! | GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 177.80
Network:   Card Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller, at port: e800
Disks:     HDD (1)ATA WDC WD1600AAJS-0 (2)ATA ST3320620AS Size 480GB (18% used)
Info:      Processes 98 | Uptime 14:05 | Memory 174.3/3042.2MB | Client Shell | inxi v:0.3.3
antiX@antiX-M8:~$ inxi -v3 -C
System:    Host antiX-M8 running  Linux 2.6.27-1-mepis-smp i686 Distro Welcome to antiX. Powered by MEPIS and Debian.
Press Ctrl-Alt-F7, or maybe Ctrl-Alt-F8, for graphical login screen
CPU:       Dual Core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 512 KB cache flags (sse3 nx lm svm) clocked at 1000.000 MHz
           GLX Renderer GeForce 8400 GS/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW! | GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 177.80 Direct rendering Yes
Network:   Card Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller, at port: e800
Info:      Processes 98 | Uptime 14:05 | Memory 174.1/3042.2MB | Client Shell | inxi v:0.3.3

This is with the old way:

antiX@antiX-M8:~$ inxi -v3
System:    Host antiX-M8 running  Linux 2.6.27-1-mepis-smp i686 Distro antiX-M8-Test1-Bolshevik
           GLX Renderer GeForce 8400 GS/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW! | GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 177.80
Info:      Processes 98 | Uptime 14:07 | Memory 174.6/3042.2MB | Client Shell | inxi v:0.3.3

techAdmin
Reply Quote
DO NOT JUST RENAME the file.

That simply bypasses the special hacks I added for /etc/antiX. Again, currently, antix is the only distro that gets special processing, and this is something I definitely want to avoid in inxi as far as possible, there are simply too many distros to do that. Arch requires it too, but arch is a root distro, primary, like debian or redhat.

If you rename the file, you must use the single line syntax for the contents.

Again, this stuff is complicated, and if you do random stuff, it will probably break the detections.

I may need to add the file name /etc/antix-version to the list of known file names for version detection, I don't know, but whatever you do, do it one time, and think about it, then don't ever change it again.
anticapitalista
Reply Quote
This is what I will do and stick to, so you don't need to do the antiX extra processing.

I will call the file antix-version in /etc
The info in the file will be one line like this:

antiX-M8 Solidarity 12 Dec 2008
Page: 1, 2  Next