sgfxi - new nvidia 177.76 added
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Should be fine for most users. Remember, the 177 series does not support 5xxx cards from nvidia, that's either the 173 series or the 96xxxx series.

To install: sgfxi -co 177.76

See release notes: www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119682

for any tips and config tricks.
Richard
Reply Quote
Wow!

This really makes a noticeable difference.
Admittedly subjective, but the first time a new Nvidia driver has shown such marked improvement in rendering speed, for me.

Edit: using the 173.14.12 (I think, version before installing this one).

< Edited by Richard :: Sep 20, 08, 21:09 >

widux
Reply Quote
Running here with kernel 2.6.26 and it's running fine!
No difference to 177.70.

Greez w.
bowhuntr
Reply Quote
I haven't used sgfxi before, always used smxi to install the nvidia drivers. I just ran smxi and this driver isn't there yet. Is it going to be at some point?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
bowhunter, sgfxi is the graphic installer engine for smxi.

smxi simply offers the basic current stable options from sgfxi. That data is set dynamically, ie, smxi and sgfxi talk together when you run the graphics question in smxi to determine what the current stable drivers are in sgfxi for your specific card version.

For all non current stable, ie, beta, older versions, etc, you have to use sgfxi directly.

Answer: no, smxi will in general never offer any beta driver, it just offers known stable/working drivers, the 3 legacy levels for nvidia, plus current latest stable.

It also doesn't offer 8-8 fglrx by default because there is no patch for it, or something like that, I don't remember.

For example, selecting the 173.12.05 driver in smxi, or whatever the latest one is now, is the same as doing this:
:: Code ::
sgfxi -c -o 173.12.05

which is also the same as doing:
:: Code ::
sgfxi -c

because sgfxi always detects and offers the highest supported driver for your card.

That's how it works more or less, plus a few other option smxi gives sgfxi to make it look like it's a native part of smxi, but those don't affect the end user beyond cosmetics.