your last url might be

pastebin.com/PdYWSgnn

FWIW
Error 213 using sgfxi
oldhoghead
Reply Quote
I got
:: Quote ::
ERROR: (213) sgfxi cannot locate any /boot/grub/ config files. Unable to continue.
sgfxi requires grub config files: /boot/grub/menu.lst or /boot/grub/grub.cfg
sgfxi does not support lilo or unmounted /boot partitions.

It is not really an error as on My Mepis 11 partition, there is no grub, but is located on another partition, my question is, would it be possible when this error is detected that the script allow one to insert the path to the correct grub location. For me, not a big problem as I added the necessary info to my grub config.

cheers,
ohh
:: Quote ::

techAdmin
Reply Quote
yes, it's possible I suppose.

In general I need to keep the core of sgfxi non interactive so it can run without user feedback when users choose default mode, which is why I try to avoid non standard methods or systems.

Basically grub didn't even matter until that nouveau mess appeared, which require that sgfxi touch a part of the system it should never have needed to touch, the grub stuff.

However, it seems your case is even less usual than the unmounted grub, a grub that is mounted to a different path, and I am not sure that is worth offering anything other than a simple manual override option, like : sgfxi -! 42

that's how I usually handle specific user options requests that really have little or nothing to do with standard systems.

Note however that an override of the grub stuff means if the user has NOT disabled nouveau, rebuild initramfs and rebooted to that, all the nouveau/radeon kms logic in sgfxi will then fail, which means I guess if the override is active I'll add in failure cases there that make sgfxi exit with error if nouveau/radeon is running on the kernel.
oldhoghead
Reply Quote
Thank you for clarifying, I try to adhere to the KISS philosophy as much as possible, and this was only a passing thought.
Would probably cause more problems than it would solve.
I am planning on building a new system later this year, and this old system of mine will be retired. antiX will be my main system, with anything else running in vbox.
Once again I want to thank you for your work on these scripts as they make a computing life much simpler for many people, including me.

cheers,
ohh
techAdmin
Reply Quote
oldhog, I can add an override option, it's no problem, but I don't want to have to really support it, but i don't mind doing that for fringe cases. Stay tuned and I'll have it live in a few minutes.

I have lots of user specific advanced options which are almost never used in these scripts, they don't really break anything in particular, all I need to do is add an error exit case.
anticapitalista
Reply Quote
I'd like the option :)

I have grub-legacy on sda1, but I also keep antiX-core (Xless) on another partition and when running smxi for a new kernel upgrade, I have to manually add it to the /grub/menu.lst on sda1.
No big deal, but as I'm getting lazy in my old age, having it somewhat automated would be nice.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Please update sgfxi: sgfxi -U
then test: sgfxi -! 33

that will override the grub stuff for nouveau/radeon, failure exits with message telling user that sgfxi can't handle the scenario

For nouveau/radeon install, it 'should' skip grub step and do everything else, flashing an alert you need to do grub yourself.

I may modify the failure case slightly, we'll see.
oldhoghead
Reply Quote
Tested, informs me
skipping modesetting, install was flawless.
No mention of having to tweak grub, unless I'm supposed to infer that from skipping modesetting, being a little slow in my developed years may account for that :)

Thank you,
ohh
techAdmin
Reply Quote
:: Code ::
sgfxi -h
-! 33 - Skip Grub file tests. Important: Only use with nVidia/ATI if radeon/nouveau have been blacklisted.

techAdmin
Reply Quote
I'll add the sgfxi text output and improve the help output too to make it more clear.

Basically I can make sgfxi do everything but the grub update in terms of the add/remove module if grub is not in path. Add remove module,, blacklist module, update initramfs, but NOT update/blacklist in grub itself.

Currently the remove skips it all, and the add skips the grub part, but I think I'll make the remove do it all but the grub too, that makes a bit more sense.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22, 23, 24  Next