Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

DeepDayze
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
All I can tell you is that nvidia has usually not taken this long to release a new driver version for legacy, so either that legacy series is at end of life, or nvidia is starting to turn down its linux support levels, which may be the case given that desktop linux has lost marketshare over the past 2 years. One notes that adobe gave up, and stopped releasing linux specific flash, and of course, the near bankrupt amd has long since stopped releasing new linux drivers (their last release was 2015-12), while slashing their linux desktop driver programming division.

Personally I think these things all paint the same picture.

Starting to look like it...Intel is the only GPU that has had improvements to its driver over time. I may look into Nouveau for the moment so might test that.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
Is there any way we can test this patch for the 340.xx driver series for 4.6 kernel:

git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/plain/trunk/linux-4.6.patch?h=packages/nvidia-340xx

Found this link on the devtalk forum. Let me know if you can set up a test so then I can test sgfxi with this unofficial (meaning not an official patch from NVIDIA), as several users on the devtalk forum reported this patch works for them.

techAdmin
Reply Quote
I'll check it, needs cleaning up, but otherwise seems fine.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I tested it, cleaned it up, it applies fine.

I set it to run on 4.5, 4.6, and 4.7 kernels, so see if it works.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
I tested it, cleaned it up, it applies fine.

I set it to run on 4.5, 4.6, and 4.7 kernels, so see if it works.

OK will do this as soon as I can and report back. I use the -! 6 option to sgfxi for this test, am I correct?

EDIT:

I just tested this patch and it works fine on my setup which has the siduction 4.6.0 kernel. Was able to get to a desktop and no obvious issues with graphics noted. As for 4.7 will test the patch for using with this kernel when it's released and has had a chance to "bake" a bit.

Thanks for your help and I do believe nvidia has been rather slacking on legacy releases (especially the ones that are still within the 5 year window of support)

304.xx seems to be near the end of life while the 340.xx has about 2-3 years to go I think.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
thanks for finding the patch
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
thanks for finding the patch

Anytime and hopefully this helps others who have the Geforce 8 and 9 series and the GTX 1xx and 2xx series. Soon will be pulling the trigger on a newer card anyhow and sell off my 9800.

The late model Radeons are looking better and better so I might check those out.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
amd hasn't released a new driver since 2015-12, so I'd avoid amd unless you are for sure going to use the free driver, and know that it works fine for the card in question.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
amd hasn't released a new driver since 2015-12, so I'd avoid amd unless you are for sure going to use the free driver, and know that it works fine for the card in question.

Precisely my plan, and will be looking for benchmarks and tests on such AMD cards before I go ahead. Nvidia may soon have good cards at a decent pricepoint I am sure, as I kinda don't want to spend gazillions.

Edit:

From my research the legacy driver support for the older cards are:

:: Quote ::
The Linux 340.* legacy driver series is the last to support the G8x, G9x, and GT2xx GPUs, and motherboard chipsets based on them. Support for new Linux kernels and X servers, as well as fixes for critical bugs, will be included in 340.* legacy releases through the end of 2019.

The Linux 304.* legacy driver series is the last to support the NV4x and G7x GPUs and motherboard chipsets based on them. Support for new Linux kernels and X servers, as well as fixes for critical bugs, will be included in 304.* legacy releases through the end of 2017.

4.7 Kernel
Chris M
Reply Quote
I can't use pastebin. The sgfxi log is too large. The installation of the "latest" NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-367.35 crapped out on the new 4.7 kernel, and the sgfxi log indicated an nvidia-installer error.

But the 367.35 is not the latest. 367.44 is the latest. Can you update the script, and I'll take it for a spin on Saturday morning?

If that doesn't do it, I'll try the latest BETA, which is 370.23.

Thanks
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next