Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

techAdmin
Reply Quote
No, sorry, if it's not a deb I don't want to deal with trying to track it.
miks
Reply Quote
OK, thanks anyway...
Tametomo
Reply Quote
For sgfxmi, how about a choice as to use proprietary or native drivers if kernel version 2.6.33 is detected? For instance, being able to use the noveau drivers instead of nvidia, or if ati, use the proprietary ati driver or the native linux driver.

This might be worth attempting now, since as of 2.6.33, there should be native video drivers right in the kernel itself for the cards that users have. Also, providing an option to use an open driver already in the kernel in sgfxmi might help some users reduce the need for users to reinstall their kernel drivers on upgrading their kernels.

EDIT: If this is already done, what isn't is at least giving an option to use the open source driver in the driver version selection for Sidux. In which case, this can be addressed rather easily. ;)
techAdmin
Reply Quote
The smxi graphics section already offers default xorg drivers, but it only offers nv, intel, or ati.

ati is now radeon automatically I believe, I'm not sure if it includes radeonhd.

Nouveau is a huge pain to deal with, and removing it can also be a huge pain, as I discovered this week while I was doing some sgfxi testing work on it for Fedora and Arch. I'll have to do some testing on Debian/Ubuntu as well for installing/removing nouveau/radeonhd, hopefully it won't be too difficult.

These in kernel drivers are difficult to remove from a running system, but as they get more common I'll probably change nv to nouveau as the default, but it's not easy at all to modify that part of smxi, in fact, it's very very difficult.

But I appreciate the compliment anyway, I'm always happy when very complex logic appears to be simple, that was always a major goal of smxi and sgfxi.
aus9
Reply Quote
hi

I seem to recall that Nvidia packages used to go to /usr/src but now appear to go /usr/src/sgfxi-downloads.

Would it be too difficult to have an option.....to ask user if they want to delete old video driver downloads (or non-current)?

Its just a suggestion and I have already culled mine.

regards
techAdmin
Reply Quote
sgfxi moves the old files to the new /usr/src/sgfxi-downloads, but a long time never implemented feature has in fact been the cleanup, but I ended up first cleaning up the default locations for downloads, at some point I'll add an smxi clean up option that cleans up: kernel downloads, all, driver downloads, all, vm downloads, all, and also cleans up all backup files smxi makes along the way.

I'm basically just been too lazy to do this, but at some point I'll add cleanup tools for smxi itself.
aus9
Reply Quote
hi

no worries
New nVidia stable driver out
dekalbave
Reply Quote
At least for linux 64-bit. Just hoping sgfxi will be updated soon.

Happy weekend.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I don't understand the question, if there is a bug you have to report it, I am not aware of any issues. If there is a bug we'll have to track it down, ie, you have to post information on card/system operation of sgfxi that isn't working, etc.
apt-fast script
arthrotec
Reply Quote
Hi:
I recently reinstalled debian lenny using the netcd and it took forever to do a dist-upgrade. I heard of this site on Linux Action Show podcast

www.mattparnell.com/projects/apt-fast-and-axel-roughly-26x-faster-apt-get-installations-and-upgrades.html

It's owner, Matt Parnell, has developed this script to speed up the upgrade process by using axel. I tried it on my ubuntu box and it does significantly speed up the process, so I was wondering if this could somehow be added to smxi. I'm not sure how much additional work this would involve, but I thought it might be something for you to check out.
Thanks for all your work
arthrotec
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next