KDE installation
masinick
Reply Quote
I have installed KDE and a number of other window and desktop managers using smxi and they all work great.

Over at mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?p=137114#post137114 a person is asking where in smxi you can install KDE. Since I do not do it all that often I can't just point them to the answer, and offhand I do not know if it is specifically documented.

h2, can you answer that, or can anyone who happens to be stopping by who knows the immediate answer - eg. call up smxi and navigate to a, b, and c, and there, you find the option to install KDE or KDE-full. I know it is there, but just do not have ready access.

Can anyone refer me to a document, or provide a, b, c steps so I can help out the smxi novice who can't seem to find it?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
good point, I was going to make a small navigation file, which I'll whip up soon, with some other documentation.

Until then

post du options -> package install -> display-manager (should be renamed to desktop install) then pick which, usually kde-full is what you want.

By the way, that kde full is NOT the full kde, it's the full smxi kde, which simply means: system utilities + kde light stuff. kde-extras is generally for most desktop requirements a must have as well, but I left it off to leave the basic kde install as light as possible.

Also, in package install utilities section, there's some good package groups I always install, console tools, etc, stuff it's always good to have present in any system. These are always installed in lightweight desktops by default, but not in kde.
Thanks h2!
masinick
Reply Quote
Thanks for the information. Anticapitalista also responded over in the MEPIS Lovers forum, so the guy asking the question got his question answered.

I think smxi is a great tool and I find it easy to navigate. Nevertheless, I think an even further improvement will be to provide some documentation on the menu structure and usage of the many powerful capabilities.

A Web page to describe the great features would be good, but perhaps at some point also some kind of navigational help option in the command itself may prove useful as well. Ultimately it is your choice. Given time to think about the best approach, I trust your judgment and appreciate the opportunity to provide this feedback to you.

As usual, thanks for an absolutely awesome tool that i now use in at least three distinct platforms!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I was thinking of doing that, so I just whipped up a first bunch of doc pages:

The navigation is the first full one: smxi navigation.

Generally I don't like adding documentation because it's always far behind the current state of smxi/sgfxi/svmi, but there it is, a rough outline.

I'm leaving the pages almost unstyled so that they work well in any medium or browser, in the apache type documentation tradition.

Plus it's easier to whip them out this way, heh.

Note the path is easy to remember: techpatterns.com/docs will take you to the index page always.
Excellent!
masinick
Reply Quote
That is just what is needed. Nicely done, especially for something you put together so quickly! Now if the person who was interested wants to look over here they will see how useful and responsive you are.

Once again, thanks a bunch h2!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
see the smxi homepage for more information, and the sgfxi home page

These are almost always somewhat out of date, unless the last modified date indicates a recent update, but they have some useful information too.

But overall, I'm going to move all the main documentation to the techpatterns.com/docs section to have it easy to access and in one place.
anticapitalista
Reply Quote
Thanks h2 and masinick. I linked to the article on the antiX forum.
I'll do the same for the antiX main page.